‘The Winter Soldier’ is a Marvel fanatic’s dream

Photo courtesy of Facebook.
Photo courtesy of Facebook.

If you’re a Marvel junkie, then the upcoming sequel, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, will give you a fix. It goes from rescuing hostages to French pirates to a speedy car chase in the nation’s capital all within the first 30 minutes of the movie. Action is in no small quantity.

Directors Anthony Russo and Joe Russo attempted to change up the formulaic hero movie with more hand-to-hand combat between the machine-gun battle scenes. However, the movie did not entirely avoid some Marvelesque cliché, such as setting the hero’s backup military against him or the signature “near-death” moments.

Steve Rogers, often known as Captain America, continues to embrace his role in modern society. Early in the movie, a new foe presents himself: the Winter Soldier. After he attacks Nick Fury, Rogers and S.H.I.E.L.D. race to find the villain and his boss and uncover their secrets.

Although the movie hardly strays from the expected plot line, Captain America: The Winter Soldier has a highly entertaining performance. You’ll be entertained, but probably not enlightened.

However, the film has all the bells and whistles of a Marvel production. Plus, the all-star cast of Scarlett Johansson, Robert Redford, and Samuel Jackson may be a saving grace for the film.

Marvel fanatics and adrenaline junkies will not be disappointed.