Nick and Norah display endless possibilities of being young

The storyline in “Nick and Norah’s Infinite Playlist” represents an ideal social scenario that many high school students only dream about: spending one sleepless night in a hip, metropolitan city, weaving in and out of bars and clubs surrounded by good friends, killer music and typical teenage hi-jinks.

Based on the 2007 novel by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan, Nick (Michael Cera) and Norah (Kat Dennings) are modern day star-crossed lovers.

Both high school students from New Jersey suburbia, they encounter each other at a Lower East Village concert. Nick is playing a gig there with his band, The Jerk-Offs.

Meanwhile, Norah tags along with her lush, booze-guzzling pal, Caroline (Ari Graynor), to watch the show.

Run-ins with ex-lovers, mix-tape discoveries and a search for the entire cast’s favorite band (who is holding an undisclosed show) force Nick and Norah to venture around New York.

Their time together allows the duo to connect and explore the potential for romance.

Set to the backdrop of an amazing indie-filled soundtrack and Big Apple scenery, the film perfectly captures the carefree exuberance and endless possibilities of being young. Each song was carefully placed and crafted to relate to each scene.

The We Are Scientists’ song “After Hours” set to a shot of the New York skyline and the teens running around the city were refreshing and some of the best scenes in the film.

Director Peter Sollett pays tribute to the “city that never sleeps,” but he never truly portrays its reality.

One cannot fathom the abundance of parking Nick finds for his yellow Yugo or the lack of traffic. The usual bustling streets were bare – even Times Square’s sidewalks looked empty. And at times it was definitely eye-roll inducing, considering how easy it was for the group to get into 21-and-up clubs, which
happened to feature more teenagers.

Although the movie is meant to be affable and endearing, there was a particular moment that reverted to the usual gross humor seen in teen comedies.

After one-too-many drinks, Caroline faces a dilemma after dropping her cell phone and gum into a vomit-infested toilet. Considering her inebriated state of mind, Caroline makes it her mission to retrieve the items.

The end result of the scene was so shocking and sickening but hilarious. It’s a funny salute to those who’ve spent unforgettable nights hugging the porcelain bowl.

Despite this, “Nick and Norah” isn’t your obvious romantic teen comedy. Sure, it’s full of angst, but it’s not overly dramatic nor does it contain many vulgar or demeaning moments found in other teen movies.

Scenes with Nick and Norah show them bickering but reveal such affectionate, honest and heartwarming moments. The film portrays teens as smart, witty and capable of surviving in the real world.

Cera (Superbad, Juno) and Dennings (The 40-Year-Old Virgin,) have great chemistry and superbly portray the typical youth of today.

Their roles are not that different from their past films, but they show the insecurities and awkwardness all adolescents encounter and still deliver sarcasm and deadpan humor that make their characters enjoyable.

But it’s definitely worrisome  this film has solidified their chances of being forever type-casted.

The supporting characters – Graynor and Nick’s bandmates played by Aaron Yoo and Rafi Gavron – surprisingly add even more laughter and charm into the cast’s dynamic.

The theme of reckless, lighthearted nights with endless possibilities is universal and timeless in “Nick and Norah’s Infinite Playlist”.

It appeals to the young and old, each hoping and remembering a memorable moment they’ve encountered (or have yet to encounter) like ones in the film. Because regardless of age, good times with your closest friends is something nearly everyone can relate to.

E-mail Laura Franco at [email protected].