Inside the Huddle: Nov. 13, 2015

inside-the-huddle-landscape_caitlynbroyles-01ITHPhotosThis week’s Inside the Huddle is all about Osprey basketball (our favorite sport). You’ve been hearing a lot about their excellent finish last year and what they’ve been doing during the offseason. So why not read some more banter about your favorite UNF birds?

What non-conference UNF men’s basketball matchup are you looking forward to the most?

CA: LSU by far. It’ll have national relevance, mostly because of freshman standout Ben Simmons, but it will also be the biggest challenge the Ospreys will face before conference play. If you haven’t heard about Simmons, get out from under that rock. He’s been likened to LeBron James or Kevin Durant, sans the shooting ability.

JS: UNF at Louisville is the matchup I am looking forward to the most. I think it is going to be a very interesting game. (The game is on Nov. 21, marking the opening round of the Brooklyn Hoops Holiday Invitational).

AH: LSU, because we’re actually going to be on TV. When you’re in the Atlantic Sun conference that’s the kind of thing you get excited for.

This is a two-parter. Which Osprey baller are you looking forward to watching this season? And which underclassman do you think will make the most impact for the Ospreys this season?

CA: I’m looking forward to seeing how senior Beau Beech caps off his college career. He has a good opportunity to become the all-time scoring leader at UNF in the D-1 era. As for underclassmen, Karlos Odum will have my attention. He was sidelined and redshirted with a leg injury last season, but his size off the bench could definitely benefit the Ospreys giant lineup.

JS: Demarcus “Bae Bae” Daniels is who I am looking forward to see. Defense wins games and that is what he is known for. As for underclassmen, Karlos Odum will make the most impact this season. After sitting out last season from an injury, I think he is a good addition to the forward position rotation.

AH: Bae Bae because defensive players are entertaining and his nickname is epic. As for underclassmen, I’d say Karlos because there are maybe 3 forwards on the entire team so if one of them goes down he’s going to have to go full Rambo.

Of the Atlantic Sun conference teams, which do you think poses the biggest threat to another Osprey championship run?

CA: FGCU is a clear choice here, but Dunk City isn’t the only team the Ospreys should keep an eye on. I think NJIT might surprise the Ospreys coming off of D-1 independent status. Just because they’re new to the conference, it doesn’t mean the Highlanders have never played basketball before.

JS: FGCU is the team that poses the biggest threat to the Ospreys after being picked second in the preseason A-Sun coaches and media polls and they have equal experience with a championship run in their favor.

AH: It’s hard to make these predictions in college basketball because it’s arguably the most unpredictable sport there is, but I’m going to go with USC Upstate. I disagree with some experts who picked them to finish low in the conference because they lost Ty Greene, but never underestimate the value of a team getting another year of working together.