United Party unopposed in election; Presidency just about certain

Graphic by Alice Maule
Graphic by Alice Maule

The United Party’s Caleb Grantham is set to become Student Government (SG) President due to an uncontested candidacy, according to SG Election Commissioner Bradley Johnson.

“There are twenty candidates for Senate, one for President and one for Vice-President on one party ticket. That’s it.” Johnson said.

Caleb Grantham is slated to take over as SG President this Spring Photo courtesy UNF Student Government

“It doesn’t mean the candidate is immediately in because there’s no election,” Johnson said. Grantham will still have to meet the eligibility requirements and be validated by the Senate ten days after the elections were scheduled to end on March 2.

The Impact Party missed the deadline for Declaration of Intent for Office, which was Feb. 2, and the Party Fair on Jan 27. The Impact Party folded at the end of January according to statements from Campaign Manager Jordan Wilson and Presidential candidate Gustavo Ascanio, though no official statement was released.

Johnson said a party running unopposed is not uncommon as two of the previous five elections were decided in this manner.

The date for the swearing-in ceremony hasn’t been finalized according to Johnson.

There may still be a constitutional referendum to vote on a bill to raise the SG minimum GPA from 2.25 to 2.5.

For more information or news tips, or if you see an error in this story or have any compliments or concerns, contact [email protected].