Team loses final home game to Campbell in overtime

The UNF women’s soccer team was defeated 2-1 in overtime by Campbell University in its last home game of the season Oct. 18.

After a defensive struggle throughout regulation, Campbell’s Sarah Durham broke the tie in overtime.

The Ospreys led Campbell in shots on goal 5-2 in the game, but two shots were all the Camels needed.

Forty minutes into the first half, UNF  got on the board after junior forward Katelin Swift headed a pass from senior midfielder Elizabeth Gowan into the goal.

“We played really well in the first half, but shut down and got lazy in the second,” said UNF head coach Linda Hamilton.

In the second half, Campbell’s Hanna Salmen scored a goal in the 70th minute, tying the score.

Although UNF won the corner kick battle 6-1, Campbell’s one corner-kick in overtime won them the game. In what was an extremely physical match, the two teams ended up close to even in fouls. Campbell finished with 17 and UNF with 16.

“There’s just not that much to say,” said Hamilton. “We lost a game in which we completely dominated and should have easily won.”

The game drew 417 fans to Hodges Stadium and was featured as the Atlantic Sun Conference ASUN.TV game of the week.

UNF finished its home slate with a 4-2-0 record, providing fans with plenty of suspenseful and
exciting action.

Five of the team’s six matches at Hodges Stadium this season were decided by a single goal and two needed extra time to be decided.

The match was the final home game of four senior’s careers: Gowan, goalkeeper Rachael Howard, goalkeeper Erica Lippitt and midfielder Elena Luzins.

The Ospreys will conclude their season with a three-game road trip. Their next match is at Belmont University Oct. 24. UNF will face its cross-town rival, the Jacksonville University Dolphins, Oct. 30 as a part of the SunTrust River City Rumble.

E-mail John Weidner at [email protected].