American Cancer Society hosts kick-off event for October benefit walk

The American Cancer Society presents a kick-off celebration for the 2010 Making Strides Against Breast Cancer event Thursday, July 29.

The event takes place at the Casa Marina Hotel in Jacksonville Beach from 6:00 to 8:00 p.m. and will provide an early chance to register for the cancer walk Oct. 16 at Seawalk Pavilion. The kick-off also offers a chance to learn about breast cancer and provideS support research on the topic.

The Beaches unit received corporate sponsorship from Tom Bush, St. Vincent’s, Ring Power, The Mayo Clinic and The PGA.

The event will promote Celebrating More Birthdays and will have speakers from the American Cancer Society, the First Coast Beaches volunteer unit and breast cancer survivor Benivia Forester.

Last year, more than 2,000 people participated in the walk. The walk raised over $120,000 last year and organizers.

For more information about the kick-off event, call Michelle Knowles at 904-391-3645 or e-mail her at [email protected]. The kick-off event is free, but RSVPs are requested.

People gather to support breast cancer awareness in last year’s events