Police Beat – Aug. 6, 2010

July 23 – Petty Theft (Building 38)
A blue newspaper rack for the Spinnaker was stolen from its location on the second floor of the parking garage. John Timpe, the adviser for the center for student media, said the person who puts the newspapers in the rack called him July 21 and told him he could not find the rack. Timpe has since tried locating the rack but has been unsuccessful. The cost per rack is listed at $241.19. The last he knows of the rack’s whereabouts was June 9 when that month’s edition of the Spinnaker was placed there.

July 24 – Petty Theft (UNF Police Department lobby)
A student advised UPD that he lost his UNF I.D. some months earlier, and it had apparently been used to rent books – which are now overdue – from the Library. He explained that when he lost his I.D., he did not report it stolen because he had a replacement. It wasn’t until he received a Library overdue notice July 15 that he realized someone had been using his lost I.D. to apprehend books from the Library in his name. No one has reported the card being used for anything other than the Library books. The investigation remains open.

July 23 – Criminal Mischief (Osprey Fountains)
Resident Assistant Aaron Meadows stated that at approximately 12:20 a.m., he entered the second (center) elevator in the South Tower of the Osprey Fountains residence halls and noticed “blotches” of white spray paint on the interior walls and door of the elevator. The case information card was issued to Area Coordinator E.J. Walicki and was advised to contact UPD if any more signs of damage are discovered. Patrol efforts have been suspended.

July 20 – Criminal Mischief (Building 39A)
A complainant relayed information to UPD that unknown suspect(s) entered the building’s stairwell and drew two images of a penis on the stairwell wall. Physical Facilities have since responded and removed the graffiti. No canvases were conducted to due the isolated nature of the stairwell.

August 4 – Theft (UNF Arena)
A victim claims an unknown person(s) stole her cell phone, debit card and driver’s license while working as a counselor for the Arena summer camp. According to the police report, she claimed her debit card was used at a blockbuster the night it was stolen.