Surf team rides wave of attention

The surf team has some fun while tabling on the green. Photo by Jariss George

UNF’s award-winning surf team, stirred up a few waves of excitement on the green today.

Students watched in awe as the team garnered some attention by setting up a huge Slip ’N Slide on the green.

Members of the surf club glided across the 50-foot tarp covered in water, in an effort to pique some interest about their club.

R.J. Berger, a member of the team, explains that they just want to let people know that they are here.

“We’re just out here causing trouble, but no — really we are just chilling and cooling off from the sun and meeting new people,” Berger said.

The surf team garnered attention with a giant Slip 'N Slide on the green today.Photo by Jariss George
The surf team garnered attention with a giant Slip ‘N Slide on the green today. Photo by Jariss George

Right now for the club, getting women to join is of a high priority to diversify the club, and they are working with sororities to try and get something going.

In the meantime, they welcome everyone who signs up with a smile and a wet handshake as they spend the day cooling off and having fun in the sun.

The surf club has their next meeting on campus in the Student Union today, Tuesday, Aug. 30 at 9 p.m.

They are expecting almost 150 people from the sign-up sheet and welcome anyone who may be interested in joining the club or the team.