Clinton Campaign outreach triple-axles to UNF

Women in the Leagal System class extra credit
Photo by Lili Weinstein

Two-time Olympic medalist Michelle Kwan visited UNF on behalf of the Clinton campaign Wednesday, Sept. 14.

Her visit was part of a campaign through Jacksonville, St. Augustine, and Gainesville to highlight Hillary Clinton’s “‘New College Compact’ affordability plan.”

According to a press release from Hillary For America, this affordability plan will allow 175,000 Florida students to pay no tuition for a four-year college degree.

The speech was given in front of UNF’s Feminist club, along with about half of Ellen Glasser’s Women and the Legal System class.

“I brought them because of the importance of voting,” Glasser said in reference to the students joining her at the event.

Kwan, along with leaders of the event, emphasized the importance of voter registration and participation in this election in particular.

Before the speech began, leaders of the event asked the room whether they were all registered to vote. Everyone appeared to be, but not in Duval county, something the organizers believe could lead to reduced voter turnout.

During the speech, Kwan cited the hard-working nature of Clinton, saying that she’s “getting a rest right now, but I guarantee she’ll be back on the road tomorrow.”

She made comparisons between Clinton and Trump, saying how her candidate was interested in “building bridges as opposed to building walls” between groups.

When asked whether Northeast Florida was a target for the Clinton Campaign, Kwan said “It would be every single voter as the target . . . we’re doing it all.”

Kwan continued to say,“We’re turning Florida blue . . . It’s a grassroots campaign across Florida, across the country.”

She’ll be visiting the University of Florida Sept. 15 for a similar voter registration event before phone banking in Gainesville, and attending a Clinton campaign office opening in Jacksonville.