Police Beat: slashed, stolen and forged

Graphic by Jay Srivastava
Graphic by Jay Srivastava

Cashing In

A UNF Bookstore employee used a customer’s Osprey 1 card to make purchases for himself.

The police report states that an officer arrived at the bookstore on Sept. 27 in relation to a fraud investigation. The victim had visited the bookstore on Sept. 21 and made a purchase. Later that day, she attempted to make another purchase but her card was declined.

After checking her bank statement, the victim found two purchases made shortly after her bookstore visit. One Visa and one American express gift card had been purchased totalling $105.95 and $54.95 respectively. The victim then spoke with the suspect, a bookstore employee who admitted to the theft complainant in reference to the purchases.

The suspect was read his rights and confirmed an earlier written statement in which he admitted to taking photos of the victim’s card and fraudulently purchasing the gift cards.  

The suspect also signed a consent form allowing his phone to be searched. The officer found no photos of the victim’s card, but did find pictures of the purchases that were made.  The phone was later placed in the JSO property room.

The complainant told the officer that the suspect had made two other gift card purchases on Sept. 21 and Sept. 23. It is not known whether or not those transactions involve fraud.

The suspect was booked into the PTDF. The case has been cleared by arrest.

Stolen Decal  

A woman found a ticket on her windshield and her parking decal missing from her car.

According to the police report, the woman saw that her parking decal had been stolen on Sept. 20 around 6 p.m. Accompanying the missing decal was a ticket from UNF parking services. The woman reported the incident to UNFPD the following day.

No canvas of the area was performed due to the delay in reporting. The responding officer recommended the case be suspended due to lack of suspect information.

Slashed, not Stolen

A UNF student found his front bike tire and tube slashed. The police report states that the bike was secured at the racks near the Osprey Fountains on Sept. 22 around 7 p.m. When the victim returned the following day, they noticed the front tire and tube had been slashed.

The victim said they didn’t report the incident to UNFPD until Sept. 26 because they didn’t want to be late for an event that weekend.

No canvas of the area was conducted due to the time frame between the incident and its reporting. The case has been suspended due to lack of suspect information.