Volleyball Season Recap

<i>Photo by Joslyn Simmons</i>

Photo by Joslyn Simmons

Photo by Joslyn Simmons

Ronnie Rodgers

The 2016 volleyball season is officially in the books. Even with many Ospreys being sidelined with injuries, the team was still able to finish the season 18-14.

Carina Hoff was sidelined with a hand injury back in September, and has not played since. During her senior season, the outside hitter was able to kill 100 balls in just eight games.

Erin Edwards was second on the team in total blocks. The senior middle blocker was able to rack up 176 kills during her final season.

Morgan Van Alstine recorded 188 kills, which is fourth on the team. The senior middle blocker is number one in blocks on the team, and in ASUN standings with 133 during her senior season.  

Senior Kimberly Ferguson was able to dig 1,028 balls during her Osprey career. She is now in third place in UNF history for digs. Ferguson also had 45 service aces this season.

Courtney Miller was sidelined with injury, after two games. During those two games the junior scored 27 points.

Sadie Thurston had 144 assists on the season. The junior setter also dug 96 balls in the backcourt.

Carinne Turner is listed as a setter, but played outside hitter during her junior year as an Osprey. Turner who is effective on both the offensive and defensive sides, had 224 digs and 220 kills.

Katarina Raicevic was second on the team in total points with 325, and killed 268 balls during her junior season. The hitter also dug 176 balls.

Defensive specialist Ashley LaBorde was second on the team in digs with 319, and also served 22 aces as a sophomore.

Madilyn McCarty assisted a team high 849 kills. The setter also dug 213 balls in the backcourt.

Gabby O’Connell was named ASUN Freshman of the year, and also won the ASUN Freshman of the Week award a record five times. The outside hitter is third in the conference and first on the team in kills with 397. O’Connell scored the most points on the team with 459 points.  

Taryn Griffey, a freshman middle blocker, had 62 kills and scored 77.5 points during her debut season.

You can catch the returning ladies on the hard court starting fall of 2017, but if you can’t wait that long you can catch some of the ladies in the sand when beach volleyball starts in the spring.