State, nation and world news

Around the State
Lynyrd Skynyrd namesake passes away at 77

Leonard Skinner, the namesake behind the legendary Jacksonville band Lynyrd Skynyrd, died in his sleep at age 77 in the early morning Sept. 20.
Skinner had been a resident of St. Catherine Laboure Manor, a nursing home in Riverside. He was found dead around 2:30 a.m. He had Alzheimer’s disease.
His son, named Leonard Skinner, as well, said the last thing his father ate was a bowl of ice cream.
Skinner taught and coached in schools until 1969, after retiring from Robert E. Lee High School. Lynyrd Skynyrd would later name the band as a tribute to the gym teacher.
Skinner eventually became friends with some of the members of the band after they came to The Still, a bar the ex-coach opened on San Juan Avenue. Skinner also named a couple of Jacksonville Beach bars after himself to capitalize on the fame.

Around the Nation
Obama’s top economic adviser to step down at end of the year

Larry Summers will be stepping down from his post as the Obama administration’s top economic adviser at the end of 2010.
The White House announced this Sept. 21 as Barack Obama commended Summers for his “brilliance, experience and judgment.”
“Over the past two years, he has helped guide us from the depths of the worst recession since the 1930s to renewed growth,” Obama said. “And while we have much work ahead to repair the damage done by the recession, we are on a better path thanks in no small measure to Larry’s wise counsel.”
Summer’s departure is the second high-profile exit from the president’s economic team, and it comes during a time when the administration deals with negative reviews on the economic policies. A CNN-Opinion Research Corp. poll conducted in early September showed nearly 60 percent of Americans disapproved of the administration’s handling of the economy.

Around the World
Vatican Bank to undergo investigation into potential money-laundering plan

Italian authorities are looking into the Vatican Bank over potential violations to money-laundering rules.
Two wire transfers that the Vatican Bank asked Credito Artigiano to carry out prompted the Bank of Italy to start an investigation.
Another Italian bank notified investigators with the Bank of Italy about these transactions that did not seem to follow anti-money-laundering requirements, the Bank of Italy said.
The Vatican Bank is “the most secret bank in the world,” money-laundering expert Jeffrey said Sept. 21. He said there is no way to find out how much money it controls.
The Vatican Bank’s income resources include large numbers of real estate, Robinson said.
The Vatican Bank has to follow strict anti-money-laundering rules since Italian law does not deem it to be operating within the European Union.