News In Brief Sept. 29, 2010

Evening walk marks annual Take Back the Night event
The UNF Women’s Center will be hosting its annual Take Back the Night event Oct. 5 to take a stand against violence and abuse. The night will include a walk against violence, a candlelight vigil and victims and survivors of abuse speaking out against violence.The campuswide walk will begin at the Osprey Crossings residence halls at 7:30 p.m. and end at the Student Union Plaza. The walk represents the men and women who aren’t afraid to take a stand against violence.Peace walk to take place for Gandhi birthday celebration
The UNF Intercultural Center for PEACE and the Gandhi Memorial Society are celebrating the birthday of Gandhi Oct. 2 at 10 a.m. The celebration will include a peace walk beginning at the Fine Arts garage. A program of music, dance and student presentation in honor of Gandhi will follow the peace walk.

UNF Eco-Adventure hosts sailing party
Students can come for a day of fun and relaxation at Fleming Island Marina in Orange Park Oct. 2 at from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. UNF Eco-Adventure will host the event at the marina, which features a new river front pool and deck area overlooking the marina and the St. Johns River. The marina also features changing facilities and barbecue grills. Burgers, hot dogs and refreshments will be served. The UNF sailboats will also be available. The marina is located at 3027 U.S. Highway 17, Orange Park, Fla., 32003.

Students are asked to bring rain gear, a bathing suit, boat shoes or shoes without dark soles, sun protection, a camera, and a water bottle.

To register, students can stop by Eco-Adventure located on Lot 100 by Parking Services. The registration fee is $5, and $20 should be paid at the event.

New student voters must register by Monday
New voters in Florida must register by Oct. 4 in order to vote early or on Election Day. Students who have moved since registration to vote in Florida may update their address even if the registration deadline has passed. But to avoid delays, students should contact the supervisor of elections in the county in which they live to update registration address.

Early voting takes place Oct. 18-31 and is a flexible alternative to voting on Election Day for students. Students should note Oct. 31 is a Sunday, and early voting may not be an option in all counties. Students must bring photo and signature identification.