Product Review: Gunnar Optiks Digital Eyewear

The idea of purchasing a pair of Gunnar Optiks digital eyewear intrigued me for the first half of this year.

Gunnar Optiks is a brand of digital performance eye wear intended to reduce the stress on the eyes caused by extended computer use or long video game binges. The majority of Gunnar’s products have stylish frames that come in a variety of different designs. The lenses of the glasses have a yellow tint to help cut down the blue light that comes from computer and television screens. Some Gunnar models have clear lenses that don’t alter the color as much; designed for graphic designers, film editors and other creative visual artists.

I read a lot of Internet chatter about these glasses that help reduce the visual strain
from working in front of a computer for long periods of time. So I decided to order a pair through my optometrist’s office back in mid-May.

Almost four months later, I finally got the call that my glasses were in since they had been on back order since Cain and Abel were in daycare. I ordered a pair of onyx phenom model glasses from the attaché collection. At a cost of $99, I felt the price was worth it based on how much I use the computer.

When I first tried on the glasses, the feeling was a bit awkward and my eyes had to get used to the change in vision. The lenses contain a small amount of  “plus” that helps sharpen images viewed by the eyes. This aspect of the lenses is a bit difficult to get used to at first, but once you are wearing the lenses for a longer period of time, you can feel the improvement.

The frame and shape of the lenses also help in reducing dry-eye effects by blocking ambient air currents moving towards your eyes.

When I first began looking into Gunnar eye wear, I was hesitant to get them due to the amber tint that comes on most of the lenses. Fortunately, the tint does not act as a hindrance or create any unsatisfactory effects. The lenses are scratch-resistant and help trap in humidity.

The big question is this: Do they actually work?

I’ve been using the glasses I purchased for three weeks and the effects have definitely been positive. The main problem is remembering to actually put them on before using a computer. I find myself not having to strain my eyes to use the computer, watch television or play a video game. The visual fatigue is not as strenuous and my eyes genuinely feel more relaxed.

The caveat of Gunnar Optiks is the price tag. While $99 is not that much in the long run, it may not seem like a necessary purchase for college students. I would recommend checking into the product because there is a benefit. The eye wear comes in a variety of different models and colors. Customers interested in purchasing Gunnars can get the lenses with their prescription, as well.

One other potential con of the eye wear is when working in graphic design the yellow tint may hinder the view of true color, but the option for clear lenses may prevent this issue.