Police Beat Oct. 13, 2010

Sept. 21 – Grand Theft  (Osprey Village)
UPD was dispatched to UNF Police Department (Building 41) in reference to a stolen bicycle complaint. Alexandra Mora said she secured her bicycle to the bike rack with a U-type lock at G building in Osprey Village residence hall Sept. 21 at 1 p.m. and went to class. At 4:30 p.m., she returned to the rack but could not find her bike or the lock. When asked about her delay in reporting the incident, she said due to the sentimental meaning of the bike, she did not tell her mother until recently. UPD was not able to locate property listing for the bike in neither their database nor any recent postings on craigslist. Investigation is still open.
Oct. 5 – Criminal Mischief – (Lot 53)
UPD responded to a woman who said she was attempting to park her mother’s vehicle in Lot 53 and noticed approximately four other vehicles wanting the same parking space. She parked four aisles behind section “C2” and walked into UNF Hall. Approximately an hour and a half later, she came back to the vehicle and noticed there were approximately 3-inch-by-4-inch scratches into the left side of the door. No other damage or fingerprints were found on the car. The victim said she did not signal any gestures or exchange words to anyone after parking. The investigation is ongoing as UPD tries to obtain more information on the suspect.
Oct. 6 – Lost Property – (Arena Parking Garage)
UPD was dispatched to Building 38 and met complainant Britanny Killebrew on the second level of the garage standing next to her vehicle. Killebrew said she left her vehicle in the garage earlier in the day to go shopping. She returned to her vehicle at approximately 6:35 p.m. and discovered her temporary license tag, which was secured on the bumper with Scotch tape, was missing. It was apparent to UPD that the paper tag, owned by Allen Killebrew, was loosely secured and sometime during her travels that day had fell off in an unknown place. UPD advised Killebrew to take the steps of obtaining a replacement license tag.
Oct. 7 – Information – (UPD office)
A complainant contacted UPD said she was concerned about the welfare of her 19-year-old daughter, who is a UNF student. She requested to speak with a police officer and said a “friend” of the daughter said she had received disturbing text messages from the girl, who was possibly suicidal. UPD met the complainant in a lot on campus and said her daughter was suicidal due to recent relationship problems. The complainant went to her daughter’s room but received no response. However, she was able to talk to her on the phone. Her daughter refused to meet with her mother but met with UPD in a lot on campus and seemed to be in good mental and physical condition. She said she had met with a counselor last week and had an appointment with the counseling center. The complainant was informed of her condition. Information will be given to Terry Dinuzzo of the counseling center Oct. 7 to follow up on the incident.
Oct. 7 – Lost Property – (Honors Hall)
Student Jessica Menke reported her finite math book lost to UPD. Menke said she left her book in room 1353 of Building 10 Oct. 4 after her class ended at 9:50 a.m. She said she spoke with her professor and checked UPD lost and found, but she could not find the book. UPD advised her to call UPD periodically to see if the book has been located. The case was cleared as non-criminal.
Oct. 7 – Drug Paraphernalia – (Osprey Crossings)
UPD was dispatched to the Osprey Crossings residence halls in reference to an anonymous call of drug use in a room. When UPD arrived, the resident answered the door and gave UPD permission to come in and talk. UPD said they smelled the slight odor of marijuana upon entering the room and also noticed a glass marijuana pipe in plain view on top of the bookshelf the student said belonged to him. UPD then asked if there was anything in the room he should be concerned about, and the student gave up some other items. All evidence was seized and placed in the Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office property room. UPD arrested the student and referred him to Student Conduct.
Oct. 8 – Information – (Social Sciences)
UPD was dispatched to Building 51 and the Ajax construction site in reference to a fire. Keith Lynch of UNF Energy Management arrived and extinguished the fire. The cause of the fire is not known, but there were large amounts of cigarette butts on the ground. Michael Jenkins, assistant superintendant with Ajax Building Corporation, said the damage of the carport and fencing is estimated at no more than $200.
Oct. 8 – Grand Theft (Building 45)
Oct. 8 – Property Found
UPD was dispatched in reference to found marijuana. It was explained that three employees found a small marijuana joint under the accelerator pedal of the accelerator cart they were using while working at 11:20 a.m. After finding the marijuana, one of the employees said she wrapped it in a candy wrapper and threw it in the garbage. UPD recovered the marijuana from the dump body and put in the Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office property room.
October 8 – Grand Theft
UPD was dispatched in regards to a missing iPhone. The victim said she was sitting on a concrete bench on the first floor of a building at 10:00 a.m. As she went to class, she realized her phone was not in her purse. She went outside to the bench but said her phone was gone. The phone was turned off, so she couldn’t be provided with any GPS information.
Oct. 10 – Information – (Osprey Fountains)
UPD was patrolling the Osprey Fountains residence halls when it observed student Melania Penaranda assisting Alexandre Robert Maurel out of a cab. Penaranda advised that she and Maurel had been to Day Glo with some friends and was unsure how much they had to drink as they parted for an hour or so and later discovered him passed out. As Penaranda was assisting Maurel to his room, Maurel became unresponsive and hit his head on the wall in the lobby while attempting to sit him down and began to vomit. Jacksonville Fire Rescue/Engine 50 was contacted, and Maurel was transported Mayo Clinic for further evaluation.