Palin’s recent challenge of America’s patriotism is unpatriotic, anti-American

It is sad – and disappointing – to see people within the U.S. who find satisfaction from belittling others for not being “patriotic” to their own country.

Gov. Sarah Palin, Republican vice-presidential nominee, stated at one of her rallies she likes to visit “pro-American parts of the country,” implying there are certain parts of the country that are anti-American or unpatriotic.

There are so many problems with this statement.

Sen. Joe Biden, Democratic vice-presidential nominee, noted that Palin’s ugly and judgmental comment not only divides, but fosters the division within the country. He added that it turns citizens against one another and questions their patriotism.

“I – like your senator [John McCain] and governor [Sarah Palin] – have been all over this land and I have never been to a state that hasn’t sent its sons and daughters to serve and die for this country,” Biden said at his own rally. “Folks, it doesn’t matter where you live, we all love this country. One of the reasons Barack [Obama] and I are running is that we know how damaging the politics of division can be practiced by the McCain campaign.”

Then Biden raised his tone in seriousness.

“Folks, we are one nation, under God, indivisible, we are all patriotic … and I’m tired of the implications about patriotism.”

These implications of patriotism are what’s hurting our society, and its fundamental beliefs.

And what is worse is that there are people who believe there are patriots and non-patriots living in the same country.

I would like to ask Palin what makes one person patriotic and another unpatriotic, and how do we measure, if at all possible, one’s patriotism?

Do we measure a citizen’s patriotism by whether he or she wears an American flag pin?

From Palin’s statement, the answer seems to be that you are unpatriotic if you are not voting for her and the Republican ticket.

But a patriot is someone who supports and loves his country.

The simplest way of expressing love for one’s country is by trying to improve it and make it the best it can be.

Those who attempt to challenge another’s patriotism are unpatriotic and anti-American themselves.

E-mail Jonathan Vahab at [email protected].