Everyone needs to vote

In less than a week, history will be made. For the first time in our nation, we will witness either an African-American president or female vice-president elected to the Oval Office Nov. 4, and  your vote could be the deciding factor – the one that made a difference.

Who wouldn’t want to say they were a part of making history?

Yet there are many people who argue only the politically suave and intelligent should vote.

Why? Just because someone isn’t as informed as a professor with a doctorate in economics or political science doesn’t strip away his or her right to be a part of the electoral process.

Even some of the top dogs in the U.S. government themselves aren’t completely informed on every issue. If they were, we wouldn’t have the entertainment of the ignorant – and sometimes shocking – comments that are made during political rallies. What would late night TV have to rag on?

But despite what some might say, the American people know more about their government than what others are led to believe.

A 2008 Newsweek poll titled “What Do Americans Know?” showed the American population was informed on topics ranging from the government to health. The results showed, on average, only 6 of the 26 questions were answered incorrectly.

And if someone still has a problem with uninformed voters, then he or she should go do something about it, not just sit there and complain.

Engage in more political discussions, organize groups and pass out fliers so the uninformed can see the platforms at hand and make a decision on who they believe is the best candidate.

Get involved, preach, offer solutions and fix the so-called problem.

Because in a democracy, everyone deserves the right to vote – even the non-taxpayers.

To swiftly generalize that non-taxpayers are feeding off the employed and wealthy is almost as ignorant as the statement to not vote.

This generalization ignores the situations of the disabled and those recently laid off.  These people, who are hurting financially or physically, can’t work and don’t pay taxes, but it doesn’t mean they’re oblivious or can’t vote.

We’ve come too far in society to say that only a certain select can vote. If that’s the case, we might as well say we’re reverting back to the times where African-Americans and women were prohibited from entering polling booths.

No matter what your race, gender, religion, income or background – the right to vote is a privilege and freedom all Americans are entitled to and should take advantage of this November.

Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise.

E-mail Laura Franco at [email protected].