Police Beat: Damaged Property, Unknown Shoeprint, and More Stolen Items

Sam Chaney

Fallen Pole
UNFPD was dispatched to Parking Services on March 12 in order to investigate property damage in Lot 100.

According to the police report, a Parking Services employee was informed of a damaged light pole at the station, and he later found said property lying on the ground when he arrived to inspect it.

The police report states it is unknown how and when the light pole was damaged, though damage to the lower portion of the pole was observed.

Officials’ efforts to locate physical evidence or witnesses were reportedly unsuccessful.

Patrol efforts have been suspended.

Inter-Net Loss
Officials met with a UNF faculty member at the University Police Station on March 13 in response a report of a stolen laptop.

The complainant, who works for the UNF Military Resource Center, stated that she had taken the laptop with her in order to present at a military event in the Student Union Ballrooms.

According to the police report, the complainant had experienced difficulty getting the laptop to connect to the internet when setting up. When she sought assistance and was still unable to connect, she reportedly switched to her personal laptop and packed up the initial UNF laptop into a soft, blue two-toned case with the power cord.

The police report states the encased laptop was placed at the back of the room with her personal belongings. By the time the event ended at 2 p.m. the complainant reportedly discovered that the laptop was missing, though the rest of her personal items were undisturbed.

The complainant states that she was in the ballroom the entire time.

The report describes the laptop as a black Dell valued at $700. On the bottom is a sticker identifying it as UNF property control number MRC00055977

Patrol efforts have been suspended.

Pumped Up Kicks
On March 14, UNFPD arrived at Bldg. 51 to investigate reports of criminal mischief.

According to the police report, officials found what appeared to be a shoeprint kicked into the drywall to the right of the doorway of one of the faculty member’s offices.

The faculty member told officials that he had no knowledge as to how the shoeprint got there, as he was reportedly not near his office between the afternoon of March 13 and the morning of March 14.

The police report states that officials searched the immediate area for further criminal mischief, but were unable to locate any.

Video of the damage was reportedly taken on body camera, but no suspects have been identified.

Patrol efforts have been suspended.

Tag, You’re It
UNFPD was dispatched to Lot 18 on March 14 in response to a report of a student stolen vehicle tag.

The police report states that the student had parked his vehicle in the parking lot at approximately 8:43 a.m. prior to attending classes, and then noticed the missing tag when he returned that evening around 3:20 p.m.

The student also told officials that he had received a citation for not having his vehicle tag displayed.

According to the police report, the student believes that an unknown suspect stole the tag and fled the scene to an unknown location.

Patrol efforts have been suspended.