UPD calls for community assistance as Jesse Martinez is set to receive additional charges

Sam Chaney, News Editor

University of North Florida Police Department released a Campus Security Update on Wednesday, July 18 informing the campus community that, though Martinez is currently in the Duval County Jail, further investigation has revealed additional evidence that may affect other students.

UNF Student, Jesse Martinez, was arrested on April 9.

“UPD detectives have been reviewing his video files and have found eight videos from what appears to be a hidden camera in a residence hall bathroom at Osprey Fountains, capturing video of a male using the bathroom and showering,” the Campus Security Update states.

Officials have reportedly identified the victim, who confirmed that Martinez didn’t have his consent to videotape him.

UPD also stated that they are still looking into other files on his computer and will be reaching out to possible future victims. If anyone feels they may have been a victim, they are encouraged to contact UPD at (904) 620-2800.  Additionally, UNF has a 24-hour crisis hotline for victims at (904) 620-1010.

Martinez was originally charged with intent to compel and unlawful use of a two-way communication device, and now he may be charged with an additional eight count of voyeurism, according to UPD.

“The UPD strongly believes that being a victim is never the fault of the victim,” officials stated. “The UPD is committed to handling this sensitive matter with the upmost discretion to protect the victims while attempting to identify those who are victims.”

Martinez was arrested in April for threatening to leak another student’s nude photos online if sexual favors were not performed, according to the Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office.

Martinez is due back in court on August 1.