Get to Know Your: B & A Committee Chair

Here comes your suave moneyman. Who writes money bills for the Student Government Senate? This moneyman does. Who facilitates dates for all budget meetings? You got it, the moneyman. Who knows what funds to cut and reward to 31 sectors? Why none other than our one and only moneyman.

Khiresto Salako, a UNF public relations senior and SG Budget and Allocations committee chair, juggles the many responsibilities that come with managing annual budget money for many different centers on campus.

“Last year I was drawn to Student Government by the $27,000 cut made from eco-adventure,” Salako said. “It wasn’t the cut, but the questions students raised about the cut. I understand money and how it works. I felt like I could answer all those questions.”

The incident drove Salako to run for senator at Student Government — the first step before attempting to run for the budget and allocations committee chair.

“I couldn’t just be a senator,” Salako said. “I wanted to make a difference.”

Salako showed good leadership skills, and he spoke and acted on issues he felt needed attention as senator. After reviewing his hard work, the board elected him as budget and allocations chair, said Randall Robinson, SG business and accounting manager.

Salako managed the final budget and allocations meeting Feb. 11 for the upcoming year. The discussion process goes from 8 a.m. until 8 p.m. Salako will hold an open forum Feb. 16 for any questions regarding the budget.

Other than working with SG, Salako is a server at the Hilton Garden Inn, interns with institution of values and leadership, is president on the speech club and takes four classes. He wakes at 4 a.m. to get ready for his server job, which starts at 5 a.m. He then heads to UNF where his day wraps up around 11 p.m.

He said his life is certainly very tough and can take a toll on his social life. Any extra time he gets, he catches up on sleep.

“I wasted three years of college just attending classes and playing ping-pong. Joining the Student Government changed my life; I’m an improved man with goals.”

He is currently reading the book “Welcome to the Time of Your Life” by Dr. Will Keim. Salako resonated with the quote, “Education worthy of its name is essentially education of character.”

Salako’s term ends at the end of Spring semester. He will have to re-run as senator and then budget and allocations chair. He said he will strive for the Senate president position next.

Salako is estimated to graduate in December but may extend his graduation for attaining his goals for SG, he said.

“At the end of the day, I like the person I look at in the mirror.”