Breaking News: Members of AASU protest Senate's confirmation of new assistant director

Stanford Taylor led a large group of students in chants.

“Torey must go!” he shouted,”Funded by SG, does SG rep me?”

At least 32 members of the African American Student Union (AASU) started protesting and marching at the Student Union Osprey Plaza in opposition to the Senate’s confirmation of Torey McCleskey as the new Assistant Director for AASU.

Student Body President hired McCleskey, a second semester freshman, who is white, earlier this month and was confirmed by the Senate Feb. 14. The Senate voted 19-11-0 in favor of McCleskey, despite vocal protest from members and officers of AASU.

Jessica Davis, a former director of AASU, a graduate in deaf education, said members of AASU are marching today because they believe SG chose McCleskey based on his race and not his qualifications. McCleskey is not a current member of AASU. McCleskey worked as a member of Osprey Productions as a project assistant for the Reel Big Fish concert in October 2010.

“AASU feels that a better qualified candidate was chosen and so  therefore we would like that candidate to be chosen versus the president overthrowing beyond the advisory board’s recommendation ,” Davis said.

FOR MORE INFORMATION ON THE SENATE’S DECISION, CLICK HERE.

An advisory board voted unanimously for another candidate for the position. Student Body President Sitou Byll-Cataria decided not to go with the advisory board’s suggestion and chose McCleskey for the position.

Student Body President Sitou Byll-Cataria said that he may hold a meeting on Friday, Feb. 18 to further discuss this topic.

CLICK THE LINK HERE TO LISTEN TO PART OF THE AASU Protest Chant.

View video footage of the AASU Protest on Feb. 16 here (courtesy of Kristen Montalto):