Wheeler’s highlight night not enough in loss to Lipscomb

After winning the first set, the Ospreys battled with the Bisons but they were simply bested by Lipscomb as they lost, 3-1.

Khorri Newton
North Florida Volleyball

During the first set, the Ospreys and Bisons were on the same level, trading points until the Ospreys eventually won the set, 25-22. Freshman Solimar Cestero and Sophomore Emma Dixon each had three kills in the first set.

The Bisons found their footing in the second set and made adjustments by watching the setter, Senior Madilyn McCarty, and also tried to contain Sophomore Devyn Wheeler. Lipscomb ended up winning the second set, 25-22.

Despite the Ospreys leaving it all out on the court, Lipscomb won the next two sets, winning the match and advancing to the second round against the two seed, Kennesaw State.

Sophomore Devyn Wheeler finished the match leading the team in kills with 17 and recorded a .455 hitting percentage. Redshirt-Sophomore Gabby O’Connell hammered 12 kills and had 11 digs, recording her twelfth double-double of the season.

For the Bisons, Senior Carlyle Nusbaum led the herd with 16 kills and 13 digs. As a team, Lipscomb recorded 61 kills total in match, UNF had 48.

The Ospreys return to action next fall with a hunger to return to the tournament and make a run.