Student Government budget passes with an increase in over $130,000 due to University changes

Alex Del Dago, Government Reporter

This past Friday marked a big day in the Senate Chambers. With the Activity and Service Fee Budget and Provisionary Language being presented and voted on, the room was filled with excitement and nerves as the presentation began.

Prior to Treasurer Julia McComb’s presentation on the budget, the Senate passed bills for the African Students Association and the Women in Business Spring Forum. The African Students Association requested $1,780 for their production later this month. This funding request included money for all of the food, decorations, and prizes. The Women in Business requested $3,027 for their upcoming forum on networking and job opportunities, but received around $700 less in funding than requested because of prior sponsor fundraising.

After these bills passed, McComb gave her eighty-slide presentation on the 2019-2020 budget. Next year’s budget increased by $132,990 compared to the current year due to a new University mandate and budgeting for more credit hours. Almost all of the departments requested the same amount of money like last year, with only a few departments requesting more for updated technology, software, and new positions. The Senators unanimously approved the budget, which will take effect after this semester.

The next general Senate meeting will take place Friday, Feb. 22.

__