UNF Tennis and Beach Volleyball Recap

Bruce Hope, Sports Reporter

UNF Beach Volleyball won two of three games over the weekend to move their overall record on the season to 5-2 heading into their matchup against Arizona State University this Friday at St. Petersburg, Florida.

Khorri Newton
Sophomore Marisa Rogers sets up to volley the ball to the other side of the court.

The weekend games were the UNF invitational, held at Jacksonville beach.  In the first match, the Ospreys defeated Saint Leo, 5-0.

The second match saw the Ospreys defeat UNC Wilmington 4-1.

The Ospreys would fall a day later however, 2-3 against RV College of Charleston.

The Jacksonville Beach Pairs Tournament scheduled for later that day (Saturday) was postponed due to inclement weather.

Men’s Tennis currently has a record of 4-8 overall, and is on a five match losing streak.  The most recent loss was Saturday vs Charlotte with a close score of 4-3.

UNF was able to earn three points at singles, but weren’t able to get any at doubles.  That inability cost the Ospreys the match.

UNF had played six straight matches on the road.

Women’s tennis bounced back from a five match skid to win back to matches.

The latest win came against conference opponent FGCU (Florida Gulf Coast).  Freshman Ana Paula Melilo won a huge point in the match, defeating Julia Ascua in three sets.

__