UNF Softball upsets FGCU in first round win

Drew McDonald, Sports Editor

A quality start from Redshirt-Senior Sydney Matzko and key scoring late led the Ospreys to a 3-2 win over FGCU in the first round of the ASUN Softball Championship Tournament.

Khorri Newton
Junior Rindy Bryant awaits the pitch.

Both pitchers were mowing their opposing batters through the first three innings as both teams were held scoreless.

A costly throwing error in the bottom of the fourth by UNF allowed Senior Kate Kelly to score for the 1-0 Eagles lead.

The Ospreys countered with an RBI single by Senior Megan Woodson in the top of the fifth which tied the game at one.

It was the Ospreys this time that benefitted on a throwing error as Senior Dominica Cocuzza scored on the Eagles miscue for a 2-1 lead in the top of the sixth.

The Eagles were struggling with their fielding in the same frame as they committed another error to allow Senior Tiffany Lower to score for a 3-1 lead.

Freshman McKenna Batterton made a late bid to put the Eagles in the lead but her RBI double to center only scored one as the Eagles lost, 3-2.

Worth Noting

Matzko went six and two thirds, allowing two earned runs, four hits and punched out four.

The Ospreys now move onto the second round where they will play the two seed, Liberty on Thursday, May 9 at 8:30 a.m.

__

For more information or news tips, or if you see any error in this story or have any compliments or concerns, contact [email protected].