The Waves

The Waves
Why wade through tide pools when you could catch the waves?

The swell:
Date: Aug. 25
You’re in Jacksonville, but who said you can’t pretend you’re in Miami? The final Week of Welcome 2011 event, the Osprey Tailgate Classic, will bring SkyBlu from LMFAO to the Coxwell Amphitheater at 7 p.m. With LMFAO’s reputation as the original party rockers, the show is sure to pump up the student body for the new school year. And while SkyBlu’s gonna take care of the party rockin’, Detroit’s JTX will open up the night with some pop rockin’. The band also adds electronic zips and that all-too-well-known auto-tune for a perfect yeah-it-came-out-in-2011 feel. Whether you’ll be ironically or unironically dancing at the free-with-a-UNF-ID show is up to you.

Date: Aug. 25
Football fans on a budget, this is for you. Student Government has partnered with the Jacksonville Jaguars to create a UNF student section at EverBank Field for the Jaguars’ eight regular season home games. Tickets are $20 for each game, and Osprey 1Card-weilding students can purchase two tickets for each game. Pay for your tickets – in cash or with a credit card – from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Osprey Plaza in the Student Union.

Date: Aug. 24
Market Days return, and this year, they’re goin’ weekly. Check out the vendors spread across the Osprey Plaza from 10 a.m. until 3 p.m. While some vendors hassle passersby with handouts and brochures, in the past, the event has hosted African percussion and fresh produce vendors.