UNF ducks mysteriously die; virus to blame

Courtney Green, Managing Editor

***See an update on this story here.***

What was initially thought to be a case of “fowl play” on UNF’s campus turned out to be the work of a virus — and before anyone starts panicking about 2020’s prospects, it’s a duck virus this time.

Howard the Duck. Photo credit Jonathan Merrin.

On July 10, a UPD officer was dispatched to The Flats in reference to several dead ducks located on the premises. According to the report, the ducks were initially thought to have been killed by someone.

The dispatched officer observed blood around the mouth of one duck.

However, the Florida Wildlife Commission was contacted and after speaking with an assigned biologist, it was determined that the ducks likely died of a “duck virus” that has been going around. Blood coming from the mouth is consistent with this scenario.

The bodies of the deceased ducks were disposed of and patrol efforts were suspended.

___

4 Comments

4 Responses to “UNF ducks mysteriously die; virus to blame”

1. ConcernedCitizen on July 14th, 2020 10:53 am

How is Howard dealing with these losses?

2. Shannon F on July 14th, 2020 1:23 pm

Everyone thinks Howard died because of this article title and picture. Most people actually do not read the whole article so this is alluding to fake news and people jumping to conclusions. It is pretty messed up to do this because now there are rumors going around.

3. ConcernedCitizen2 on July 14th, 2020 2:01 pm

Is Howard still alive?

4. Sarah on July 14th, 2020 5:22 pm

IS HOWARD STILL ALIVE WE NEED TO KNOW

• The art of college pranks

The art of college pranks

• Darvin Nelson

Latest Stories

Report: Ospreys MBB heading north to NC State to play in multi-team event in late November

• How isolation can affect mental health

How isolation can affect mental health

• UNF LGBT Resource Center promotes awareness to issues in the transgender community

UNF LGBT Resource Center promotes awareness to issues in the transgender community

• police beat graphic

General

Is there a serial burglar at the Flats?

• President Donald Trump and Democratic presidential candidate former Vice President Joe Biden participate in the final presidential debate at Belmont University, Thursday, Oct. 22, 2020, in Nashville, Tenn. (Chip Somodevilla/Pool via AP)

Latest Stories

AP: Final Trump-Biden debate marked by clashes but less chaos

• Valentina Bacchin, wearing a sanitary mask to protect against COVID-19 looks at Wilfy, a young westie dog needing a haircut, in the Bottega di Zula pet grooming shop in Rome, Wednesday, May 6, 2020. Bacchin reopened her shop on Monday when Italy began stirring again after a two-month coronavirus shutdown, with 4.4 million Italians able to return to work and restrictions on movement eased in the first European country to lock down in a bid to stem COVID-19 infections. (AP Photo/Alessandra Tarantino)

Latest Stories

Pet Adoption Rates are Still Rising in Jacksonville

• FILE - This combination of Sept. 29, 2020, file photos shows President Donald Trump, left, and former Vice President Joe Biden during the first presidential debate at Case Western University and Cleveland Clinic, in Cleveland, Ohio. Amid the tumult of the 2020 presidential campaign, one dynamic has remained constant: The Nov. 3 election offers voters a choice between substantially different policy paths. (AP Photo/Patrick Semansky, File)

Latest Stories

WATCH: Final 2020 presidential debate live at 9 p.m.

• student government graphic

General

Unofficial SG election results announced

• Mail-in ballot request deadline approaching

General

Mail-in ballot request deadline approaching