All eyes on Florida after smashing daily record for new coronavirus cases

Zach Yearwood, News Editor

Florida was deemed the new global epicenter for COVID-19 last week. On Sunday, the state recorded 15,300 new cases — the highest single-day increase in any state.

New York held the previous high with 12,274 in April.

The increase in cases comes due to both an increase in testing statewide and the rapid exponential growth of the virus.

The initial low numbers led to the state quickly beginning its reopening in May. This included gyms, restaurants, barber shops and spectator sports with reduced capacity. Governor Ron DeSantis declared victory.

As numbers began rising, the state continued its reopening process. 

Now, despite the record-shattering numbers, the state is still attempting to return some sense of normalcy from before the pandemic. 

Disney World’s Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom opened on Saturday after being closed for nearly four months. The NBA also brought 22 of its 30 teams to Orlando to finish its 2019-2020 season in a bubble environment.

The Republican National Convention is slated to come to Jacksonville in August, but local health experts, among others, are urging leaders to rethink hosting the event in the city.

Additionally, schools are preparing to return for the fall semester in about a month, leaving students, faculty members and parents concerned about the possibility of accelerating the spread of the virus. 

Florida now has over 282,000 confirmed cases and 4,241 deaths.

The United States is currently reporting 3.37 million cases and 137,000 deaths.

___