A new leader heads the Indie Endeavor

By Maggie Seppi, Staff Writer

If you’re looking to broaden your independent music playlist or maybe create your first one, WJCT’s Indie Endeavor is the place to start.

Hosted by Erin Lee, a UNF alumna, Indie Endeavor is more than just your mainstream radio program. Lee includes local, national and international bands in her playlists, providing listeners with a unique range of tunes.

Lee began her relationship with WJCT, Jacksonville’s public-funded radio station, through David Lucken, manager of the after-hours shows and host of Electro Lounge.

“I emailed David a few years ago, so we kind of started our dialogue there, just talking about music in general. Then he asked me to do a playlist as a guest DJ on Electro Lounge a couple times for 15-minute segments,” Lee said.

Lee took over from Devin Balara, also a UNF alumna, in late August.

Balara played a big part in teaching Lee the ins and outs of recording and hosting the show, Lee said. Between the two, they accentuated the many styles of independent music.

“The thing about independent music is that it’s so broad of a genre. But between Devin and I, I think it reflects the different aspects perfectly,” Lee said. “I love her taste, and I love my taste, and I think it’s mutual.”

Right before Balara left in August, she messaged Lee and asked her to take over Indie Endeavor.

The two co-hosted a few shows together and became good friends through the experience.

“We definitely got to know each other a lot better. It was really fun just being in the studio with her,” Lee said. “She taught me basically everything I needed to know.”

Their varying tastes can be heard in their playlists. Lee said she has more electronic influences, while Balara has more acoustic influences.

Lee said her favorite part about hosting the show is transitioning the songs, and her least favorite is the vocal recording.

“I love matching the beats and syncing the songs together. There’s something so meticulous about it,” Lee said. “I am still getting used to recording my voice in a room by myself, but I try to be as genuine as possible, and it’s slowly feeling less weird.”

Aside from hosting Indie Endeavor, Lee DJs at Square One in downtown Jacksonville.

Lee said she is always open to suggestions for the show.

“If you have a song you haven’t heard in a while, or one you just have to hear, always feel free to let me know,” Lee said.

More UNF music on WJCT
After listening to Indie Endeavor, stay tuned for Osprey Radio’s upcoming program.

Sunday through Thursday at midnight, one of five UNF students will host the segment for the evening and play their very own playlist.

“We hope the programs will promote Osprey Radio as well as give the students an opportunity to get their names out there,” said Andrew Landis, Osprey Radio station manager.

Because Osprey Radio focuses on the indie genre, each student will present up and coming artists from related genres, such as electronic, dubstep, techno, jazz and even contemporary heavy metal.

Landis said full approval of the Osprey Radio segment is still pending, but if all goes well, the show will air one to two weeks from Oct. 16.

WANNA GO ON THE ENDEAVOR?
Tune into Indie Endeavor Tuesday nights from 11 p.m. until midnight on 89.9 FM. Also, contact Erin Lee with suggestions at [email protected].

Email Maggie Seppi at [email protected]