Preview: UNF set to start postseason run with series against Stetson

Riley Platt, Sports Reporter

Featured Image: Justin Nedrow

As the regular season came to a close on Sunday, all focus shifted to the upcoming ASUN Conference Baseball Championship. The Ospreys will first face the Stetson Hatters, an opponent they have seen success against this season. Can UNF continue this trend with a trip to the next round on the line?

In a season of ups and downs alike, the Ospreys stayed strong and secured the no. 2 seed in the ASUN South Division. Teams from their respective divisions will face off this weekend, with the final four remaining teams traveling to Jacksonville to face off against each other in a double-elimination tournament at UNF’s Harmon Stadium.

UNF (18-20, 11-7) is looking to capture their first ASUN Conference title (Justin Nedrow)

Over the course of seven meetings against the Hatters this season, the Ospreys have won five of them. Don’t let this record fool you, though. These have been tightly-contested games. In those five wins, UNF won by an average of less than three runs per game. 

Stetson enters the series with a 26-21 record, going 10-8 in ASUN play. Despite a loss against UNF this past Sunday, the Hatters still have a win against no. 9 Florida not too far in the rear-view. Put simply, this team is capable of great things, and the Ospreys will likely have their hands full this weekend. 

The added motivation of hosting the next round should help spur UNF in their championship endeavors. The opportunity to win a championship on your home turf is very enticing, but they will need to stave off an uber-talented Stetson squad to have a shot. 

The best-of-three series kicks off on Friday at 6 p.m. and continues on Saturday at 2 p.m. If game three is needed, it will start at 1 p.m. on Sunday. Tickets will be needed for entry and can be purchased through UNF. Capacity is limited to 500 fans, though, so don’t wait too long to get your tickets! All games will also be streamed on ESPN+ for those who can’t make it to Harmon Stadium. Follow along with Spinnaker for the latest on UNF baseball.

____

• Photo by Martin Sanchez via Unsplash.

UNF reports 178 cases last week

• The cast of Hamlet receives applause from the audience after their performance at MOCA Jacksonville.

A closer look at UNF Shakespeare’s Hamlet

• Meet the Candidates. Graphic by Carter Mudgett.

Meet the candidates: Vice President and Chief Diversity Officer interviews to begin

• Shot of an Osprey sports uniform sleeve.

Shorthanded Ospreys squad gives Florida State everything they can handle

• Lufrano Gallery installation created by Camryn Media. Photo by Carter Mudgett.

The Lufrano Intercultural Gallery’s new exhibit opens for students and faculty to view

• Of 336 votes, 60% of the respondents say UNF should keep classes in-person.

UNF students grapple with whether to return in-person

• Interim President Chally rejects student fees proposal, current student fees remain same

Interim President Chally rejects student fees proposal, current student fees remain same

• Courtesy of ABC

The Bachelor: Episodes 1 and 2 Recap

• Victoria Shore, Headshot courtesy of Student Government

Advisor Shore retires after 11 years at UNF

• Photo by Justin Nedrow

Strong second quarter propels Ospreys WBB past Kennesaw State

Spinnaker intends for this area to be used to foster healthy, thought-provoking discussion. Comments are expected to adhere to our standards and to be respectful and constructive. As such, we do not permit the use of profanity, foul language, personal attacks, slurs, defamation, or the use of language that might be interpreted as libelous. Comments are reviewed and must be approved by a moderator to ensure that they meet these standards. Comments will be removed if they do not adhere to these standards. Spinnaker does not allow anonymous comments, and Spinnaker requires a valid email address. The email address will not be displayed but will be used to confirm your comments.