UNF student section brings college atmosphere to Jaguar games

Students will not have more chances to buy tickets this season
By Erin Ostrowsky

Even though the new UNF student section has been successful up to this point of the year, the Jacksonville Jaguars have no plans to sell more discounted tickets to UNF students this season, according to the UNF Student Government & Jacksonville Jaguars Student Section Facebook page.

Before the football game against the Baltimore Ravens Oct. 24, the Jags asked UNF to sell tickets in the 100 or 200 section for $20-30 in the Student Union Osprey Plaza.

The additional ticket sales took place after the allotted 2,200 student section tickets for the year sold out at the beginning of the semester, Student Body President Matt Brockelman said.

Brockelman said the response from everyone involved has been nothing but positive.

After hearing about the deal through Facebook and word-of-mouth, Brett Weisman, a business student, bought tickets to five games.

“I don’t think anyone could complain about going to a professional football game for $20,” Weisman said. “The seating is great. It’s a pretty expensive section, normally.”

Julie Soluri, a UNF advertising senior, bought tickets at the beginning of the season and said working with the Jags is “a really good idea, because of UNF’s lack of a football team.

Samantha Parsons, a UNF photography senior, agrees, but said she never knew enough about the tickets to make a purchase. She suggests more advertising around campus to increase student awareness about game promotions.

Brockelman said the Jaguars organization is responsible for anything related to sales, and UNF’s part in the deal is space reservation and event promotion.

In a post-game interview after he scored the only points against Baltimore, Josh Scobee, the Jag’s kicker, said having more college students involved is “awesome.”

When asked if he would like to see more deals between the Jags and UNF students, Scobee responded, “For sure. It gets the college atmosphere about it, and this is a big college area.”

With the dismissal of coach Jack Del Rio and Wayne Weaver’s new agreement to sell the Jags, future agreements between UNF and the Jaguars remain undecided.

The Jags have a game against the San Diego Chargers Dec. 5. Unlike the Ravens game, the Jaguars organization has not made strides to get more students to the game. The Ravens game was at risk of being blacked out in the Jacksonville area.