Men's basketball dominates in first river city rumble game

Josh Brannock, Sports Editor

Email Josh at [email protected]

Follow @spinnakersports

After losing at home to Jacksonville University (2-5, 0-1 Atlantic Sun) for 5 straight years, the UNF men’s basketball team (5-4, 1-0 A-Sun) beat the Dolphins 80-58 Dec. 3. With 18 points from Andy Diaz and 15 from Charles McRoy the Ospreys won by their largest margin of the season, 22 points. The win makes UNF 5-0 at home this season, with six straight wins dating back to last year.

“This game is no different then any other game that we’ve played in the sense that this is how we want to address the beginning of the game, the first five minutes, the last five minutes of the first and the first five minutes of the second,” said UNF head coach Matthew Driscoll. “I was really proud of guys…for executing these things.”

“Today they just played well and we didn’t stick to our game plan,” said JU guard Tevin Galvin. “It’s plain and simple.”

“I’m disappointed in our defensive effort,” said JU head coach Cliff Warren. “I just don’t think we played Jacksonville defense tonight. They had open shots and give them credit they made them.”

Offensively the Ospreys shot 60% from the field including 62% from beyond the arc. UNF made eight of their 13 shots from three-point range, two of which came from forward David Jeune. In the second half the Ospreys shot 71% from the field while holding the Dolphins to just 30%.

The first half started with the Ospreys going on a 5-0 run as McRoy hit his first shot from beyond the three-point line and slammed down an alley-oop on a fast break. After that the teams went back-and-forth for majority of the half, but UNF widened their lead to a healthy eight points before the half.

Taking the court after halftime the Ospreys took momentum from the first half and had a 14-4 run going after the first five minutes of the half to take a 54-36 lead. UNF continued to build on its lead as they would eventually widen the lead to 20+ points for majority of the game. In the final 6 minutes of the game both teams went back-and-forth, but the game never got close.

The Ospreys out rebounded the Dolphins 37-34, but allowed JU to come down with 18 offensive rebounds. JU forward Glenn Powell came down with eight offensive boards, three that came on the same possession.

Defensively UNF held JU to just 34% shooting for the game and gave up 58 points, the season low was Nov. 23 when Wright State scored just 52. Three UNF players got a block in the game and the team had 30 defensive rebounds. Diaz led UNF with nine rebounds, eight defensive.

“Every time [we] play them I come out here with a clear mind, I honestly didn’t even remember that game” UNF forward Matt Sauey said in response to being at UNF when JU won by 40 in 2009.

“I guess you could say it feels great,” McRoy said. “Going out there and getting that win is something we always want.”

Even though many at UNF feel that there is a rivalry between JU and UNF, coach Driscoll is not one of them.

“Let me tell you something, when it gets to be 50-50 then you’ve got a rivalry, but give our guys credit, they came out today with a sense of urgency…we prepared for this game.”