UNF women's basketball looks to start off conference play with a home win

Josh Brannock, Sports Editor

Email Josh at [email protected]

Follow @spinnakersports

After winning two of its last three games the UNF women’s basketball team (4-9, 1-1 Atlantic Sun) looked to bounce back from a tough double overtime as they hosted Belmont University (3-11, 2-1 A-Sun) Jan. 2nd

The Bruins were able to use a strong offensive first half to dominate the Ospreys and win by a final score of 54-37. The loss was the second of the season at home for UNF and was the teams first conference loss.

“I was totally disappointed in our focus and our effort. Absolutely no intensity on defense in the first half,” head coach Mary Tappmeyer said. “We lost the game in the first half. We were down by 17 and we lost by 17.”

Belmont started the game strong taking an early 7-0 lead and not allowing the Ospreys to score their first points until 5 minutes into the game. Belmont would eventually take an 18 point lead with 6:51 left in the first half.

UNF entered halftime down 17 and could never muster a consistent offensive run that would pull them close shooting just 5 for 28 (17.9%) from the field in the second half.

The box score after the game did not represent what actually happened on the court. In every non-offensive stat UNF dominated Belmont. The Ospreys out-rebounded the Bruins 42-31, including 21 offensive rebounds that lead to just five points. The Ospreys had nine steals compared to Belmont’s five, but only had two more points off of turnovers and two fast break points.

Usual offensive leaders Fabiola Josil and Brittany Kirkland struggled from the field shooting a combined 6 of 23 (26%) from the field. No UNF players scored in the double digits while two Belmont players did including Molly Ernst who was deadly from the behind the three point line. Ernst was 5 of 10 (50%) from beyond the arc and had 17 total points to lead all scorers.

“[We’re] going to shake up the lineup [for the next game]” Tappmeyer said.

UNF will have to forget about this game quickly as they host Lipscomb Jan. 4th