Women's basketball rebounds after loss to Belmont

By Josh Brannock, Sports Editor

Email Josh at [email protected]

follow @spinnakersports

After losing to the Belmont Bruins Jan. 2 54-37 the UNF Ospreys (5-9, 2-1 Atlantic Sun) looked to bounce back in its third conference game of the year as it hosted the Lipscomb Lady Bison’s (3-12, 1-3 A-Sun) Jan. 4.

UNF fought hard throughout the game and used a season high 77 points to beat the Lady Bison’s 77-67. After the Belmont game head coach Mary Tappmeyer expressed the importance of sticking to the game plan and she saw that tonight.

“I thought we played much better as a team. We had more focus and we executed the game plan. I saw the team I love tonight.”

The Ospreys started off the game hot as junior forward Jadhken Kerr made her first four three point shots. In the first ten minutes the teams went back-and-forth going into the media timeout with 11 and a half minutes left in the half at an 18-18 tie. After the timeout UNF went on a 25-12 run to end the first half up by 13 points.

“I knew it was going to come eventually. If I kept shooting I’m bound to miss,” Kerr said after asked if she thought she was going to miss after her hot start.

The Lady Bison’s came into the second half with a nothing to lose mind set and used a 12-2 run that eventually gave them a one point lead. Coach Tappmeyer took a timeout to slow Lipscomb down and it turned out to be the pivotal moment of the game as they took the lead right after.

When asked about the early second half run by Lipscomb Tappmeyer felt the team came into the half sluggish.

“I don’t think we were as aggressively minded on the defensive end as we should have been. There’s no team in this conference that’s going to go away regardless of what the score is.”

After UNF regained the lead Lipscomb struggled to hold them down. Season leading UNF scorer Brittany Kirkland gave the team 11 points in the second half and led all scorers with 21 points on the night. UNF saw a much different Kirkland than they did Jan. 2 where she scored just four points.

“I kept shooting it. I realized I’m a shooter, one of the best shooters in the A-Sun,” Kirkland said. “It’s not an easy task, but its something I have to do for my teammates…I have to keep shooting.”

With her 21 point Jan. 4 Kirkland has scored 20 plus points in two out of UNF’s last three contests.

The Ospreys will look to continue their success as they head on the road to take on two top A-Sun teams. The team will take on Florida Gulf Coast University Jan. 7 and then take on Stetson University Jan. 9. The Eagles and the Hatters were projected to finish in first and second in the A-Sun preseason rankings this season.