MTV’s ‘Made’ holds casting interviews on campus

By: Dargan Thompson, Assistant Features Editor

Linda Mathis, a UNF freshman, signs up to be MADE. (Photo by Sean Murphy)

Several students sat nervously in the hallway of the Student Union Feb. 21-22, waiting to be called in to their casting interviews for MTV’s reality show “Made.”

In two days, about 60 students shuffled in and out of the meeting room, hoping to be chosen to get MTV’s help in achieving their dreams.

Barksdale Pullen, a UNF elementary education junior, said he had to choose between wanting to be made into a pop star or a male model. He decided on pop star because that is what he is more passionate about.

Pullen said he was a little bit nervous for the interview but more excited. The interview was fun, he said. The producer filmed the interview and had Pullen introduce himself to the camera several different times, but otherwise, it seemed more like a normal conversation than a formal interview. Pullen said he felt the interview went well.

“They need to pick me,” he said. “I would be so good on TV.”

(Photo by Sean Murphy)

Diliaida Montalvo, a UNF undeclared freshman, was looking more long-term with her goal. She wanted to be made into a linguist. Montalvo already knows four languages and is working on learning her fifth. She said she has a passion for languages and would want “Made” to help her learn even more.

“I love languages,” she said. “And the look that people give me when they see that I know their language is just the most beautiful look.”

Michael Eberle, a UNF psychology senior, said he said he wants to be made into a writer for Cartoon Network’s edgy revue “Adult Swim.”

Eberle said he likes the type of humor on “Adult Swim” and thinks it would be a great job to have for the long term. His backup idea was to do stunts for “Jackass.”

He emerged from the room a few minutes later, laughed and said the producer liked the “Jackass” idea.

Nathan Johnson, the casting producer for “Made,” said the show normally goes into high schools to find its subjects but is trying to change things up by going to colleges for the next season.

(Photo by Sean Murphy)

Johnson is holding casting interviews at other schools in Jacksonville, as well as in Miami, Boca Raton and Tampa. He said he would love to shoot a show in Florida because it seems like a fun place to live. The warm weather is also a plus, Johnson said.

Johnson said he chose to come to UNF because it has a good number of students and great demographics. The show, which has won three Emmys and has been on the air for nine years, tries to focus on students who have a lot of energy and a heartfelt reason for wanting to accomplish their goal, Johnson said.

“That’s really the only way either you or I can be moved by someone trying to overcome a challenge,” he said.

Whether a UNF student will be chosen for “Made” remains to be seen. Johnson said there were a few people he really loved in the interviews. Overall, the students he saw impressed him.

“There’s a lot of energy, a lot of honesty, a lot of hope,” he said.

If a UNF student is chosen for the show, MTV will probably have at least one camera crew on campus, depending on what the University agrees to, Johnson said. It will also want to film the student in class in order to show a real college experience.

“We want to be able to showcase the University in a great light,” Johnson said.

Email Dargan Thompson at [email protected].