Police Beat, April 11

April 8 Marijuana Possession (Osprey Cove) – An officer noticed the smell of marijuana emanating from a room. Upon requesting permission to enter, the resident appeared extremely agitated and told the officer he could not enter. The resident then retreated into the room and said he would return to discuss the odor, at which time he was seen jumping out of the room’s rear window. The resident returned to the room several minutes later. Upon entering the room to apprehend the resident, the officer noticed several white pills in a plastic baggie on a desk. Also in plain view was an open desk drawer containing a marijuana pipe and a pill bottle containing more white pills, as well as $700 in cash and numerous empty plastic baggies. A digital scale and vaporizer with marijuana residue were also found. The resident claimed possession of all the items and said the pills were ecstasy. He was Mirandized and arrested. Three other subjects in the room consented to a search of their belongings. The first resulted in the discovery of a fake Florida driver’s license. He claimed possession of the item, was Mirandized and placed under arrest. The second was found in possession of a glass bong and a digital scale with marijuana residue. He claimed possession of the items and was Mirandized. He was also issued a Notice to Appear for possession of drug paraphernalia. The third subject, who was not a UNF student, was issued a trespass warning. Several cups containing alcohol were also found and disposed of. All confiscated property was placed in the JSO Property Room. The three UNF students were referred to Student Conduct.

April 2 Drug Paraphernalia (Osprey Landing) – An officer met with the building’s resident assistant, who was investigating the smell of marijuana emanating from one of the rooms. The RA knocked on the door and keyed into it after no one answered. The officer and RA noticed drug paraphernalia, including a glass pipe and a grinder, lying on the bed. The resident was not present at the time but arrived several minutes later and said the paraphernalia did not belong to her. She was referred to Student Conduct. The paraphernalia was placed in the JSO Property Room.

April 4 Marijuana Use (Osprey Fountains) – An officer met with the building’s resident assistant, who said he noticed a resident smoking outside of his room’s window. The resident granted the office permission to enter the room, and upon entering he noticed a strong odor of marijuana. The suspect confessed to smoking marijuana and claimed possession of the drug paraphernalia, which included two glass pipes. The suspect was Mirandized and referred to Student Conduct. The paraphernalia was placed in the JSO Property Room.

April 6 Possible Poisoning (Building 832) – An officer met with a complainant, who said she noticed what she believed to be antifreeze in a bowl used to feed the feral cats around campus. The complainant also found the same substance in a feeding bowl in another location. There is no suspect information.

April 7 Sick Person (Athletic Field) – An officer made contact with the subject, who was participating in an Reserve Officers’ Training Corps event and complained of feeling light-headed and dizzy. The subject was transported to the Mayo Clinic.

April 7 Damaged Vehicle (Lot 15) – An officer met with the complainant, who said he parked his vehicle April 7. Upon his return hours later, his windshield and rear view mirror on the passenger’s side were cracked. There was no suspect information.

April 7 Bicycle Theft (Student Union East) – An officer met with the complainant, who said she placed her bicycle in the bicycle rack next to the Student Union East building. She said her bike lock was broken, but she still used it attach her bike to the rack. No canvass was conducted, due to the time of the incident, and there was no suspect information. The victim was unable to provide the officer with a serial number associated with the bicycle but was instructed to contact UPD, if it becomes available.

Source: UPD
Email Maggie Seppi at [email protected].