Track treks to FSU

The UNF men’s and women’s track and field teams are taking flight in the 30th annual 2009 Florida State University Relays March 26-28 at Florida State University.

The men’s and women’s teams took first and second rankings in the Spring Break Open and have been practicing and training on their new track for the upcoming relays.

WHAT
FSU will host several schools from larger conferences including Syracuse, the University of Michigan and the University of Florida.

“We had an outstanding practice right after the break, and are looking forward to the upcoming competition,” head Coach Mark VanAlstyne said. “We are hoping to take our game up a notch at the FSU relays this year.”

WHEN
March 26-28

WHERE
FSU’s Mike Long track and field in Tallahassee, Fla.

LOOKING BACK
Senior Amy Stroder set a new UNF record in heptathlon and 100m hurdles last year in 2008, while senior Nathan Holden finished third in the 10,000m at the 2008 FSU relays.

The men’s highlights included Will Pearce’s fifth place finish and Patrick Canfield’s 15th place finish in the 10,000m.

The women’s team had Emily Kohler’s sixth place finish in the long jump and javelin throw to be excited about.

THIS SEASON
The men’s track and field team has made a key addition to its roster for the 2008-2009 indoor and outdoor season with Florida transfer Will Pearce.

On the women’s team, freshman Brooke Baumann took first in the 800m at the 2009 UNF Spring Break Open.

Compiled by Heather Furey.