Treaty Oak brings together the sun-bathed for “Movies in the Park”

Well folks, school is out and your skin is already fried from immediately over-heating it at the beach. All you can think about is finding a shady refuge so your skin can solace.

Luckily, San Marco’s most cherished hardwood, Treaty Oak, is the centerpiece in a four-week summer series of free movie nights guaranteed to soothe your soul, but probably not your skin.

The tree itself, mammoth in size, is estimated to be over 250 years old and is located in Jessie Ball duPont Park at 1123 Prudential Drive.

Sponsored primarily by JaxParks, “Movies in the Park” is experiencing its second successful year of epic films, messy snow cones and community underpinning.
“I mean, what a nice notion. You can even feel the breeze off of the St. Johns,” San Marco native Joseph Shuck said. “It’s just a great way to kick-off a stellar Friday night with some old-fashioned fun.”

Attracting a multitude of attendees during the premiere April 17 showing of “Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom,” the following Friday’s showing of “E.T.: the Extra Terrestrial” summoned an equal if not denser crowd than the first.

May 1 hosted the showing of “Finding Nemo” and the session will conclude with the May 8 showing of Tim Burton’s “Beetlejuice.”

Free parking is available in the Suddath Garage directly behind Treaty Oak. Gates open at 5:30 p.m. so moviegoers can arrive early and listen to some jams provided by local radio station, 96.9 The Eagle. Movies begin promptly at 8 p.m.

It is recommended that participants bring a picnic blanket or lawn chair to plop down on while movie watching under the stars. Lawn games such as hula hooping are organized for the young-at-heart before the opening credits.

Plenty of refreshments are available for purchase at concession stands scattered around the park, but alcohol is strictly prohibited due to JaxParks’ desire for a family-friendly atmosphere.

City of Jacksonville suggests grabbing a blanket and some friends, heading down to historic San Marco and breathing easy. The lazy, hazy days of summer have almost arrived.

Call 904.451.3344 for additional information

Images courtesy of City of Jacksonville and Google.