Police Beat week of Oct. 31

Oct. 23 Alarm (Child Development Center) – An officer responded to an alarm a child set off by accidentally getting his or her hand stuck between an open door and a door frame. The door hinges were loosened to free the child. Only a red mark remained on the child’s arm, and his or her parents were informed.

Oct. 23 Sick Person (Building 45) – An officer met with a complainant who said a student fainted while in class. The subject was responsive but said she was not feeling well and had been dieting. She said she was not under the influence of any other drugs or medications. Emergency response evaluated the subject and transported her to Mayo Clinic.

Oct. 23 Theft (Building 41) – An officer met with a complainant who said her parking permit had been stolen. She said she noticed a parking ticket on her window upon returning to her vehicle. The officer observed adhesive glue saying “VOID”. She said she didn’t know who would have stolen the pass. A canvass was not conducted due to a lapse in time. Patrol efforts have been suspended.

Oct. 23 Marijuana Possession (Osprey Cove) – An officer was conducting his rounds when he smelled marijuana emanating from two students who walked passed him. The officer proceeded to question the students as to whether they had marijuana on their person. The students told the officer they had been smoking off campus. One subject gave the officer the marijuana. The officer investigated the student’s dorm room with their consent and did not find any other paraphernalia. One student was given a Notice to Appear, and both were referred to Student Conduct. The marijuana was placed in the JSO Property Room.

Oct. 23 Sick Person (Osprey Fountains) – An officer responded to a possible sick person when he saw emergency rescue preparing to transport the subject. The witness said the subject was spending the night in his dorm room when she got out of bed and laid unconscious on the floor. The family was notified.

Oct. 24 Theft (Library) – An officer met with a complainant who said her laptop had been stolen. The subject said she left her belongings on a table while she went to the water fountain. When she returned, she said her laptop was gone. She said she saw a subject quickly walk away from the area. She said she was unsure if the individual took the laptop. A witness recalls the suspect but is unsure if he took the laptop. The officer and the complainant conducted a canvass of the area with negative results. The investigation is ongoing.

Oct. 25 Theft (Building 16) – An officer met with a complainant who said his skateboard had been stolen. The subject said he left it unlocked on the rack outside Building 16, but could see it from where he was eating. He said he heard a loud noise and saw a suspect ride toward Osprey Hall with his skateboard. He said he called UPD and did not pursue the suspect. The officer conducted a key audit to determine who entered the building at that time and is waiting for the results. The investigation is ongoing.

Oct. 25 Theft (Building 16) – An officer met with a complainant who said his skateboard was missing. He said he placed it on the rack outside Building 16 and could not find it later when he returned. He said he did not see anyone who could have taken it. The officer searched the immediate area with negative results. Patrol efforts have been suspended.