Updates from Nov. 19 budget, allocations, Senate meetings

Stock photo by Keri Weiland

Special request transfer approved

A request for $75,000 to be transferred from the fund balance into special requests passed with unanimous consent. This is the second transfer of funds into special requests that has been approved this Fall.

Aim Higher funds approved

Funds were requested for Aim Higher, a campaign to increase student awareness of Florida budget cuts to higher education. The request for $7,367 passed with 11 approvals and one disapproval. The Senate also approved this request unanimously with 43 approvals.

Funds to bring motivational speaker to UNF approved

The Student Leadership Advisory Board’s request for $3642.50 passed unanimously with 12 approvals. The funds will go toward bringing motivational speaker Adam Carroll to UNF. The Senate also passed the request unanimously with 43 approvals.

Spring election funding approved

A request for $3,000 to fund the Student Government Spring election of 2013 passed unanimously with 12 approvals. The Senate reduced the funds for the election from $3,000 to $2,000. It then passed the revised request with 37 approvals and four disapprovals.

Free printing request approved

A request for $37,230.75 to fund the free printing initiative for the Spring semester passed unanimously with 12 approvals.The Senate also approved the request unanimously with 43 approvals.

Catholic Ospreys funding approved

The Senate granted funding for SEEK conference in the amount of $2,500 with 10 approvals and one disapproval.

FaithWalkers funding denied, passed in Senate

Jacksonville Christian Life made a request of $1,797.98 in funds to visit to the FaithWalkers conference. Senate denied the request with six approvals and six disapprovals. A two thirds majority is needed to pass. During the Senate meeting, the Jacksonville Christian Life’s request of $1,797.98 was put on the floor again and passed with 32 approvals and 10 disapprovals. The funds will be used to send 14 students to the FaithWalkers conference.

Pride Club request approved

The Pride Club made a request of $2,256.54 to fund its visit to the Creating Change conference. The sum was reduced to $2,097, and the request passed with nine approvals and three disapprovals.

Funds for Interfaith Leadership Institute approved

Better Together’s first president Hana Ashchi’s request for $408 to attend the Interfaith Leadership Institute passed unanimously with 12 approvals.

Brand name endorsement on campus

After conducting surveys, SG has officially announced that they will attempt to bring either Pita Pit or Angie’s Subs to the UNF campus as part of its program to improve campus dining. This was passed with unanimous consent.

Aim Higher program formally endorsed

With unanimous consent, the senate formally endorsed the Aim Higher Florida program, a program that attempts to increase awareness of recent budget cuts to Florida’s higher education.

Constitutional changes made to Elections, Appointments Code

The Always Improving Act passed with unanimous consent. This act aims at streamlining the election process on campus. Changes made include a definition of fair market value, eliminating conflicts of interest, and a rule that no A&S fees may be used to further a campaign.