Police Beat – Week of Feb. 20

Logo-policebeatFeb. 02 Theft (Building 41)- A student said she left her phone on the floor when she went into a classroom. When the student returned, the phone was missing. The student made attempts to call the cell phone but it had been turned off. The victim then used a GPS locating service to track her phone and showed the officer where it was located. The officer noticed it was in one of the dorm buildings. The officer drove to Osprey Crossings and made contact with some students and asked to see their cell phones. The officer did not see the victim’s phone. There are no current suspects.

Feb. 12 Theft (Osprey Landing)- An officer met with a complainant who said her bicycle had been taken from the rack at Building X. The student said she locked it to the rack a few days prior and had not used the bike until returning and seeing it gone. The officer searched nearby racks but did not find the victim’s bike.

Feb. 13  Criminal Mischief (Lot 9)- An officer was patrolling the area when he noticed markings on a stop sign. The officer notified physical facilities. There was no damage to the sign.

Feb. 13 Missing Items (Building 41)- An officer met with a complainant who said he lost his employee keys. The complainant said his keys had been in his jacket when he noticed his car had a flat tire. Wearing the jacket, he rode his motorcycle to get some Fix a Flat. When the complainant returned, the keys were no longer in his pocket.

Feb. 14 Marijuana Possession (Osprey Cove)- An officer met with a complainant who said she smelled marijuana. The officer knocked on the door of the suspected room and the resident answered. The resident gave the officer permission to enter. The officer then confronted the subject and asked if he had any paraphernalia. The resident then gave the officer a small amount of marijuana and a glass pipe. The officer issued the student a notice to appear in court and referred him to student conduct.

Feb. 15 Suspicious Person (Building 58 East)– An officer met with a complainant who said a man she had previously lived with, an ex-boyfriend, tweeted he was on the UNF campus although he was not a student. The complainant said she had gotten emails from him she felt were threatening and had information that he had been physical with previous partners, although there is no record of this. The complainant also said that when her mother went to his house to retrieve some of the complainants items after the breakup, he threw things around the house. The complainant immediately left campus after speaking to UPD. The complainant was given phone numbers for Hubbard House and referred to the UNF Women’s Center. There was no evidence of crime, so the information report was closed.

Feb. 15 Theft (Building 39)– An officer met with a staff member who stated that a juicer had been stolen from a storage room. She said the item is only used once a year during February. No canvass was conducted due to time span and no Intellikey audit was conducted because none of the doors had Intellikey locks.

Feb. 16 Intoxicated Person (Building 34)– An officer was dispatched in reference to a sick person. The complainant said he was having a diabetic reaction and could not stand. He stated he had been drinking alcohol earlier that night, which may have affected his sugar levels. The complainant was transported to the Mayo Clinic for further evaluation.

Feb. 16 Intoxicated Person (Building 34)– In response to a report of an intoxicated person, an officer was dispatched and met with the arresting officer, who stated that the suspect was attending a comedy show inside the arena and caused a disturbance. After being escorted out of the event due to his intoxication, the suspect was told he could not return for the remainder of the evening. The suspect was arrested for Disorderly Intoxication-Public Disturbance and Trespass after warning and transported to Duval County Jail.

Feb. 18 Suicide Threat (Osprey Fountains)– The officer met with a complainant who stated that she had seen two of her roommates arguing that morning and the weekend before. She said that during the heated argument that morning, one of her roommates said she was having suicidal thoughts after being called a “bitch” several times during the argument. The student was escorted to the counseling center where an appointment was already scheduled for her.

Feb. 18 Found Paraphernalia (Osprey Hall)– An officer met with a Housing staff member who was completing a safety inspection and found a metal grinder and glass pipe, both with marijuana residue. The items had been in plain view on the dormitory desk. The resident of the room is to be sent to Student Conduct.