Women’s Soccer: One goal not enough for Ospreys in Miami

The UNF women’s soccer team returned from a two-game trip to Miami Sept. 11 to Sept. 13 with one loss and a tie.

UNF lost 2-1 against Florida International University Sept. 13, after traveling to Boca Raton and finishing a 1-1 tie against Florida Atlantic University, after playing two overtimes.

Senior forward Katelin Swift scored her third career goal against FIU and her fifth goal of the season. With a burst of speed Swift beat her defender and headed the ball in past the goalie from a 35-yard pass down the side.

“It was an unbelievable play and great effort put forth from Katelin to get the goal,” said Head Coach Linda Hamilton.

A challenge UNF faced was holding the lead in the second half, as FIU answered with five corner kicks to UNF’s one. FIU’s forward Katrina Rose scored the only two goals for her team, which was enough for them to win.

One goal for the Ospreys seemed to be the theme of the weekend, as they struggled against Florida Atlantic.

“We scored a great goal, but holding the ball for the entire 90 minutes of the game was a struggle for us,” Hamilton said.

After a scoreless first half, senior midfielder Kristin Rhodes scored UNF’s only goal and her first goal of the season. UNF put the first goal on the board in the 48th minute when Swift made a run down the sideline and crossed the ball by FAU’s net. Rhodes reached the ball, rushed toward the goal and ripped past a defender to put the ball past FAU’s goalie and into the back of the net.

FAU didn’t wait long to respond and even score as their forward Ashley Mannarino had four shots on goal, halting UNF’s momentum. And after stealing the ball from UNF’s keeper, Mannarino had a one-on-one opportunity to even the score. She shot a goal in the bottom left side of UNF’s net just 10 minutes after the Ospreys scored their goal.

UNF had five shots in the first half and five shots in the remaining minutes of the second overtime, as they tried to break the tie.

“We had a lot of good possessions but most of them happened on our side of the field,” Hamilton said. “Soccer is a long game and hard game, and if you run out of energy then it makes it that much more difficult to come out with a win.”

UNF will return to Hodges Stadium from Sept. 18 to Sept. 20 for their third tournament of the year and their second at home in the UNF Hampton Inn Ponte Vedra Showcase. Some of the teams that will be competing include Mississippi State, The Citadel and Florida Gulf Coast.