Daily Discovery: Jacuzzi Boys – Jacuzzi Boys

By Logan Buzzell, Spinnaker Radio Station Manager

Jacuzzi boys- S-TAt the turn of the millennium, American musicians revived the classic, yet underappreciated era of 60’s garage rock. Artists such as the White Stripes, the Strokes, and Yeah Yeah Yeahs drew upon musicians such as the Stooges and the Sonics. These groups both swooned music critics and audiences alike during the height of nu metal. Those days are over: Jack White has gone solo, the Strokes continue to distance themselves from their roots, and the Yeah Yeah Yeahs are singing goofy songs about UFOs and mosquitos. Nonetheless, garage rock is alive and kicking, as apparent with the three-piece Miami band, Jacuzzi Boys.

Even though Jacuzzi Boys are late to the party, they are hardly a rip-off of their predecessors. Rather, Jacuzzi Boys retains the lo-fi, simple chords, and song structures of garage rock while implementing Florida-esque inspired laid-back melodies and airy vocals. This relaxing instead of cacophonic approach to garage rock is most vivid on their third LP, Jacuzzi Boys.

Right off the bat, “Be My Prism” exemplifies this style through a mellow guitar riff and catchy drum beat while maintaining enough feedback to demonstrate its garage rock roots. Meanwhile, “Rubble” captures the big riffs, distortion, and feverish drums of Jacuzzi Boy’s predecessors. This mix of dynamics and styles gives a noteworthy take on a genre half a century old while remaining accessible and fun to new listeners.

Recommended if you Like: Thee Oh Sees, the White Stripes, Ty Segall
Check Out: “Be My Prism,” “Double Vision,” “Domino Moon”