Scoring in the dark

Logan Wall, a fine arts junior, creates pottery as part of a concentration in ceramics. Photo by Randy Rataj
Logan Wall, a fine arts junior, creates pottery as part of a concentration in ceramics.
Photo by Randy Rataj

Logan Wall is a UNF junior majoring in fine arts with a concentration in ceramics. The Spinnaker’s Randy Rataj sat down with Wall to talk about her art, what inspires her, and her future plans.

Randy Rataj: Briefly describe your work.
Logan Wall: Just large. I mean, these pots we have here are just big.

RR: How and when did you get into art in general?
LW: I always kept a sketchbook. I took all art classes in high school — my electives. I knew when I came to college I would switch to art. I just had to wait and see what it was.

RR: How did you end up in this medium?
LW: I’m not exactly sure. I took ceramic classes in high school and everything. And then I just decided to take it here one day because I saw [a pottery] sale in the student union, and so they kind of convinced me to take the class, and I got really into it.

RR: Where do you see your art going?
LW: I just got back from Italy study abroad, so I’m going to try and work some ideas I had while I was there into my next class.
As for bigger stuff, I am still going to keep doing it. I want to learn how to spin it on the wheel rather than building with my hands.

Wall's pots are made using coils. Photo by Randy Rataj
Wall’s pots are made using coils.
Photo by Randy Rataj
RR: Can you describe how you make these big pots?
LW: I make these with coils, which is a long rod of clay. I make a base out of a slab and I coil up and shape as I go. There is a lot of time in shaping and developing the form, and attaching coils is just how you build up.

RR: Who inspires you?
LW: This past semester we had a lot of visiting artists, and I think I benefitted from them a lot.
Adam Field was one. He does the traditional Onggi style pots; they’re also large and coil-built. He inspired me to try it myself and, while he was here, I could ask him questions when I found problems that happened while I was building. So Adam Field was the biggest inspiration to me.

RR: What are Onggi pots?
LW: Onggi Pots are traditional, large pots for storing and fermenting kimchi [a traditional fermented Korean side-dish made of vegetables]. Adam Field went to Korea and studied there and mastered the art of Onggi pottery.

RR: Where can your work be seen? Has it been shown?
LW: It hasn’t really been exhibited anywhere yet. I did just have it in the art department office — just decorating their office. And I’m hoping to get into some shows soon, hopefully go into Art Walk and submit to shows.

RR: What kind of music do you prefer when making your art?
LW: Sometimes in the morning, it’s nice to come and — it sounds kind of weird — but listen to hardcore soundtracks like “Dark Knight” and other Batman movies, and Thor. Raj [a friend] and I don’t turn the lights on and we just kind of sit and work to it.

RR: What do you gain from it, what’s the purpose?
LW: It just makes it kind of more intense. We just sit there and it’s before anyone gets there—either me and Raj or just me. I just sit in the dark so I can’t really see what I’m doing which makes it a little more interesting. I get in the zone.

RR: Any closing statements about your work?
LW: There will be more of it, hopefully in shows. I’m looking forward to it.

Email Randy Rataj at [email protected]