Police Beat Sept. 13

Compiled by Joseph S. R. Cook, contributing reporter

Logo-policebeat5Sept. 8 – Grand Theft (UNF Intramural Field) – A student’s iPad was stolen out of his unattended backpack. The theft occurred while the student was playing flag football at the UNF Intramural field adjacent to Parking Lot 18. The theft occurred between 2 p.m. and 4:30 p.m. There are no suspects or reported witnesses.

Sept. 11 – Sick Person (Osprey Crossings) – An unresponsive student was found lying on the sidewalk near Building S, shortly after midnight. The student was likely intoxicated. A UPD officer arrived on scene and spoke to Resident Assistants who initiated the call about the unresponsive woman. Engine and Rescue 50 arrived shortly thereafter, and determined that the student required further treatment, transported her to the Mayo Clinic.

Sept. 12 – Identity Theft (Student Union) – After purchasing food at the Student Union, a university employee’s debit card information was stolen and used. The employee purchased food at the Chicken Grille eatery, at approximately 12:53 p.m. Four hours later, he was alerted by his bank that it had discovered unusual purchases from his account. His information was used, apparently electronically, to purchase two items from a Wal-Mart in Wesley Chapel, one item from a Wal-Mart in Riverview, and one item from Brandon; all locations in Florida. The money spent was about $40. The employee had physical possession of the card when these purchases were made. Since the theft, he has safeguarded his account.

Sept. 12 – Grand theft (Building 16) – Two laptops, valued at $500 each, were stolen from an employee area in Building 16. The kitchen and locker sections of this building are restricted to employee use only. However, the UPD officer on scene was advised that the back doors next to the lockers are usually unlocked. Additionally, the officer was advised that the locker area did not have enough lockers for all the employees. The theft occurred between 1600 and 2300. Fingerprints were not taken, because the area is highly traveled by pedestrian employees. The investigation is ongoing.

Email Joseph S. R. Cook at [email protected]