Highlights from Sept. 13 Senate Meeting

Student GovernmentStudent seeking appointment

Onie Thomas, a second year graduate student, and Elizabeth Schaarschmidt, a Junior, sought appointment to a general senate seat.

Student appointed to Senate

Raymond Bachman, athletic training Sophomore, was appointed to a general senate seat in a 31-0 vote.

Special Requests passed

Fransua Estrada, Budget and Allocations Committee Chair, said special requests are required to be passed through the Budget Allocations Committee and then are put before the Senate.

Osprey Productions Special Request for $56,000 to fund the group’s Spring Mainstage was granted in a 30-2 vote.

The Executive Branch requested $16,064.71 to fund an office build out. The money would come out of the Student Union Fund Balance. The money is to build out room 3307, which is currently a doorless workspace. The renovated workspace would become an office for the Student Government advisor, Vicki Shore. Carlo Fassi, UNF Student Body President, said this is so the advisor can be closer to the students. Kaitlin Ramirez was one of the senators who objected to the request. Ramirez said the money could be spent elsewhere, perhaps on something more for the students. The request was approved 22-9.

The Executive Branch and the Military and Veteran’s Resource Center requested $25,000 from the Student Union Fund Balance as initial funding for a Veterans Memorial. The memorial is to be located between the college of education and Coxwell Ampitheater. Sauer, a construction company, donated $15,000 and a free cost estimate to UNF for the memorial. The remaining cost for the project, which is currently unknown, will be gathered through donations. The request was passed 29-2.

Club Alliance requested $10,538 to fund specialized club fairs. These club fairs will be held every Thursday in the Student Union Plaza. Each week will feature clubs from a different club classification. The five club classifications are academic, religious/faith based, sports/recreation, philanthropic, and special interest. Each category will get two club fairs per semester. The money will also go to assisting in the production of Club Fest. The request was passed 26-4.

Fiscal Encumbrances Passed

Senator Fransua Estrada submitted the Fiscal Year 2012/2013 Year-End Encumbrances for approval. Encumbranes are purchases made under last fiscal year’s timeline but not paid out until this year. The encumbrances are special requests granted last fiscal year that are to be paid out this year. The total amount is $5,374.31. The request was passed 30-0.

Travel Request passed

Senator Fransua Estrada submitted a travel request from UNF Sigma Alpha Pi to Senate for approval. Sigma Alpha Pi originally submitted a request at the Sept. 6 Budget and Allocations Committee meeting. The request was denied by the committee. Estrada said he worked with Sigma Alpha Pi to make the request more fiscally responsible. Sigma Alpha Pi requested $477.27 to cover car rental, rental insurance and fuel costs. The request was amended to strike the $45 cost of rental insurance. With the rental insurance taken out, the new request is $432.27. Sigma Alpha Pi was granted $432.27 in a 21-8 vote.

Bill changes passed with unanimous consent

Changes were made to CR-13SB-2700 and JR-13F-2705. The CR covers Article V revisions to made to the organization of the article to make it easier to read. The JR covers constitutional friendliness. It makes organizational and grammatical amendments to the Student Government Constitution.

Endorsement Passed

The Florida Board of Governors met yesterday, Sept. 12. JR-13F-2714 is an endorsement of the Florida Board of Governors Inclusion of the CITF Bonding in the 2013-2014 Legislative Budget Request. The endorsement is a commendation to the Board of Governors for the inclusion of this request in its meeting. The endorsement was passed in a unanimous vote.

Email Sarah Ricevuto at [email protected]