Greek Awards celebrate chapter accomplishments

Alpha Tau Omega, which won Chapter of the Year. Photo by Saphara Harrell

Fraternity and Sorority Life gathered on Feb. 3 to celebrate all of the the achievements made by fellow Greeks.

The awards highlight individuals and specific chapters who are making a difference on campus and in the community.

Individual awards included Advisor of the Year, Volunteer of the Year, and the Council Presidents of the Year.

Alpha Tau Omega and Alpha Chi Omega won Chapter of the Year.

Christopher Brady, president of Alpha Tau Omega, said it was an amazing feeling winning chapter of the year.

Leigh Gould, Delta Gamma chapter president, holding DG's award for Most Improved Chapter of the Year. Photo by Saphara Harrell.
Leigh Gould, Delta Gamma chapter president, holding DG’s award for Most Improved Chapter of the Year. Photo by Saphara Harrell.

Alpha Tau Omega is the newest fraternity on campus.

Brady said that the fraternity works with the ‘Just in Queso’ foundation which is run by Tijuana Flats. The foundation helps local Jacksonville families who have a family member who gets diagnosed with a terminal illness or loses their job while they’re sick.

Brady said they were able to raise $4,000 for the cause, and half the money they raised went to one of the brothers’ co-workers.

“We were able to see, hands-on, how her experience has been and then see how much it helped her,” said Brady.

In the past year, UNF Greeks collectively did over 25,716 hours of community service.

During the awards they also read out the names of the individuals who had gotten over a 3.5 GPA either the fall or spring semester.

Delta Gamma president Leigh Gould said, “It was a really good feeling to see that everyone is recognizing our accomplishments.”

Delta Gamma won Most Improved Chapter of the Year award.

Gould said the event “shows how much Greek life does attribute to our campus.”

Email Saphara Harrell at [email protected]