Get off your couch and explore the beautiful Driftwood Beach

Driftwood Beach is only half an hour from UNF. Photo by Ellie Strube.

What: Big Talbot Island State Park

Cost: Ferry Ride—$6, Hecksher Drive—Free. Parking for Driftwood beach—$3

Date: Any day of the week

Location: Big Talbot Island State Park

It’s warming up and that means it’s time to explore all of Jacksonville’s parks. Big Talbot Island State Park has everything a park could offer, from beaches and trails to fishing and surfing. It’s a place to go for a beautiful day off from all your worries.

A perfect place to go for just a few hours is Boneyard Beach or, as most people call it, Driftwood Beach. “Weathered by the sun and sea, [century-old live oaks and cedars’] skeletal remains lie in rest on Boneyard Beach,” states The Florida State Park Website.

The island a mile out causes the sea to be calm. Photo by Ellie Strube.

Before you venture out to the island, stop at Publix to get some cheap subs and maybe a few brews. More essentials to bring are your swimsuit, towel, sunscreen, a hammock and a camera.

Only 35 minutes from UNF, getting to the island is half the fun. There are two ways to get to Talbot. There’s the St. Johns River Ferry, which connects the north and south ends of A1A, linking Mayport Village and Fort George Island across the St. Johns River. The lovely ride across the river is less than a mile journey and costs a mere $6. The ferry leaves every half hour. The other way to get to the island is by taking I-95 North and getting off at Heckscher Drive. The drive up to the island is absolutely gorgeous. The two-lane road takes you under canopies of oak trees and over bridges that look out to the Florida marshlands. Fisherman line up their trucks along the shores, and you may be lucky enough to see them reel in a big Redfish.

Finally, you reach a sign that reads “Big Talbot Island”. It costs $3 to park, but Big Talbot is free. The funding goes to the conservation of the park. It’s a 10-minute walk down to the beach—and it’s a pleasant walk. A dirt path with monolithic trees grown by the sun and salt leads you down to the shore.

Once you’ve reached the shore you’ll be overwhelmed by the beach’s unending beauty. Great trees cascade over the dunes and some rest on the beach like sleeping giants. Hanging up a hammock between those giants is an ideal place to take an afternoon nap.

The trees are a perfect place to hang a hammock and take a break from everything. Photo by Ellie Strube.

Take a walk around the point and adventure to climb through the small caves. Seashells are plentiful to pick, but be careful not to step on a jellyfish. The ocean is protected by an island a mile offshore, so the sea is quiet and the swim is easy, since you won’t have to wrestle with the waves. Later in the evening, as the sun sets, golden light streams through the branches and onto the serene sea.

It goes without saying that you will find nary a better place to spend your day than Big Talbot Island.