Softball team dominates FAMU 8-1

Photo by Camille Shaw

The UNF softball team jumped out ahead of the Florida A&M Rattlers Feb. 17 at the UNF Softball Complex. with an 8-1 win. The Ospreys (8-2) brought down the Rattlers in an offensive batting clinic that yielded five runs for UNF in the first two innings alone. UNF’s Katie Mandigo led the attack with three runs batted in for the night.

“We came out really strong today and scored in consecutive innings to put the game out of reach early,” UNF Head Coach Marcie Hickey said. “It was a great game to get back on track as we head to FAU for the weekend.”

The Rattlers managed to put their one and only run on the board in the top of the fifth inning when Whitney Farris singled up the middle, driving Tashayla Irvis home from second base.

UNF freshman Stephanie Schmidt earned the win in her second career start. She allowed just one run in six hits. Kelly Wilson, UNF’s senior shortstop, finished the night going 4-4 with two runs batted in.

The Ospreys hit the road this weekend for a five-game stint at the Florida Atlantic University Invitational in Boca Raton, Fla. Their first game of the invitational is slated for Friday, Feb. 20 at 10 a.m. against the University of Albany.

Gallery photos by Camille Shaw

[doptg id=”130″]

For more information, news tips, or if you see an error in this story contact [email protected].