Lush citrus-themed film festival oozes animation upon Jacksonville

Dripsblack and the Five Points Theatre present The Citrus Cel Animation Film Festival April 9-11, celebrating the cultivation of animation as a medium, culturally and commercially, with three days of screenings, parties and panels.

The festival, according to Citrus Cel, provides a merging arena for students and professionals from the fields of animation, illustration, design and film to exchange ideas and help color the potential-laden mural of northeast Florida.

“I think animation as a medium has great potential to envision alternative worlds and get beyond the limits of realism,” said Dr. Nicholas de Villiers, assistant professor of English and film at UNF. “I think it is exciting that Americans are finally acknowledging adult and not just child audiences for animation

There will be three features (one each night), student short films, movie and TV title sequences, broadcast advertisements, animated music videos, visual effects, classic animation, experimental and mixed media, 2D animation, 3D animation, stop motion, gaming animation and shorts for the kiddos.

Students can purchase an all-access pass for $65 or choose to buy tickets to individual screenings, in which students can receive a slight discount on certain films, but individual tickets generally run from about $6.50 to $7.50.

de Villiers is very happy to see Jacksonville hosting an animation festival, and he hopes to see more events like this in the future.

Although those interested can visit the official Web site at citruscel.com and peruse and purchase passes to specific programs as well as download the official program, de Villiers mentioned a few programs which look specifically captivating to him.

-Apples to Oranges (Experimental)
-Marmalade (Adult Swim-type)
-Pulp (dark humor)
-Lemonade (do-it-yourself)
-Orange You Glad There’s Music Videos programs

He thinks most students will be familiar with Adult Swim and animated music videos but hopes they are also willing to consider animation as an art form, not just family entertainment.

Despite the fact de Villiers has only lived in Jacksonville for two years, the Five Points Theatre has surfaced as his favorite destination, in particular their Late Shows on Fridays and the Horror Festival they put together.

“I think Jacksonville really needs independent theaters and programming,” de Villiers said. “And Five Points seems to be moving even more in that direction, which is a good thing. They are a great venue in a cool neighborhood.”

de Villiers offers extra credit to his students attending the Citrus Cel programs, but feels that everyone should check it out.

Five Points Theatre is located at 1028 Park Street in the historic Riverside neighborhood of Jacksonville.